Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Creating Mahara eportfolio for Moodle assignment submission [solved]

This topic is closed. Only moderators and the group administrators can post new replies.
anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

01 March 2013, 3:26

Greetings,

Once again I am very new to this topic but I have been researching a lot and I have come to understand lot of things. 

My main problem is that I have done this Mahara/Moodle Integration. I have Moodle 2.3.4+ and Mahara 1.7.0(dev). I have even understood that it might not work in some version and it might work in some specific version. 

I have successfuly installed 2 plugins and I have enabled assignment 2.2. 

My question is that once a teacher have uploaded a assignment and enrolled student in Moodle and then when student try to submit their work. This is where I am all confused. Is it that the student should create a page of work or collection. And is that those work done in mahara will be automatically seen in moodle during submission.

I hope I am clear. I am saying that I don't know how this is working. I have understood in theory that we create portfolio in mahara and then submit that portfolio in Moodle. But How ? 

Can someone help me or give me links. or if it doesn't work with latest version. Can you please tell me which version should I be using it to make this happen. 

Thanks

Edits to this post:

01 March 2013, 4:14

Hello Aarif,

On Moodle you have to create an assignment 2.2 activity in a course of your choice and choose Mahara assessment from the list (it will be there because you have installed the plugins).

Then on Mahara one of your students is working, producing artefacts, relfectng on them and putting them on display on a page (or a collection of pages).

Then the student returns on Moodle, goes on the course, chooses the assessment where it is required to send a ePortfolio from Mahara.

In this assessment, the studend sees all the pages he/she has built in Mahara (sharing them first is not required) and can select one page or of collection of pages to send for assessment.

The student can't modify the page or the collection of pages until teachers have assessed and relased it.

When sent to assessment within the assignement activity, teachers can access the portfolio directly from the assignment activy on Moodle. They will be SSO into Mahara an can see and comment on the page or the collection.

If oucomes have been activated on Moodle, teachers can grade and set outcomes achievment for this student, and relase the page or the collection.

Just after the page or the collection is released by one teacher, the student can again access and edit the formal.

Hope this helps

-dajan

Account deleted

01 March 2013, 4:37

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Before I proceed any further. I would like to confirm that yes, I have installed the plugins. And When I click on "Add and activity or resources" ==> Assignment ==> [[typemahara]]. 

This is what I can see

Is there any mistake, did i make mistake while installing plugin. Or is it because of the version that I am using. 

01 March 2013, 20:19

Hello Aarif,

Reading your previous message I was wondering if you have set up Mahaara and Moodle for SSO on the MNET proptocol?

You will find some doc on this on Slideshare or on the Mahara wiki.

My feeling is that message appears because your Mahara and Moodle or not linked

Regards,

-dajan

Account deleted

01 March 2013, 22:48

Thanks for you reply djan,

I did SSO on the mnet protocol and because of that we can move back and forth from Mahara to moodle and vice versa.

I assure you that I have connected mahara and If i login in moodle, by clicking on Network Servers (Mahara) I can login to mahara just by 1 login

I have done following things on Site Administrator ==> Networking ==> Manage Peer 

SSO (Identity Provider) ==> Publish 

SSO (Service Provider) ==> Subscribe

and finally after installing extra plugin

Extra Mahara MNet Module ==> Subscribe

Thanks

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 March 2013, 10:29

Hello Aarif,

You get [[typemahara]] when there is no language string defined. I don't have a Moodle 2.3 install right now to check whether I also have that issue or not. However, the missing language string should not influence the functionality. What happens when you select this type?

You can also find some more info in https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=5266

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

04 March 2013, 22:48

Hi Kristina

Thanks so much for your reply. 

Honestly, I don't have any idea why its showing [[typemahara]] however, when I select it

My webpage gets stuck and this shows up in address bar

http://localhost/moodle/course/modedit.php?add=assignment&type=mahara&course=10&section=0&return=0&sr=0

Once this didn't work, I went to Site Administrator ==> Plugin ==> Plugin Overview

to check if there was any mistake during my installation of the extra mahara plugin and you can see the screenshot below

I am not quite understanding how to do it what "julian" has done in the link you provided but I will keep on try my best and notify it I have done it. Or else if someone could guide me that would be marvelous.

Thanks 

Aaron Wells's profile picture

07 March 2013, 11:17

To expand on what Kristina said, Moodle 2.3 adds a few expected language strings to most plugin types, which the mahoodle plugin currently lacks. So when Moodle can't find the expected language string in the plugin's source code, it prints something like [[typemahara]]. This won't stop the plugin from working, it just looks ugly. :)

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

28 March 2013, 4:40

Hi Aaron,

Sorry for late reply was on Holiday. However, I did like you said but the problem and I was trying this on my Virtual machine using CentOS and in here I did followed exactly everything and installed plugins and finally, I choose [typemahara]] it doesn't proceed further and I get stuck.

Now this is what happened and I can't believe myself. I went back to my previous machine where I was working and I haven't used it yet and today I opened it and guess what. Mahara Plugin is working perfectly. Now, I don't understand the mystery of how it was solved and what really happened. 

If anyone knows or if anyones has similar story please do let me know.

Account deleted

04 April 2013, 0:09

Hi everyone, 

No-one replied back to help me however, I have found the problem. 

Basically it was to do with plugin installation. If you do it properly then it will work and its working fine in my.

Wish I could mark it Solved.

Thanks

11 results