Forums | Mahara Community
Do we have a Mahara Assignment Plugin for Moodle 2.3 / Mahara 1.6.3 ?
27 February 2013, 18:39
We have a very new Mahara install (January 2013) and updated both our development and production servers to 1.6.3 last week. We also have an existing Moodle install that was upgraded to 2.3.3 in January.
- Mahara version 1.6.3 (2012080610)
- Moodle version: 2012062503.06
Moodle release: 2.3.3+ (Build: 20121214)
Our ICT team has already setup the Mahoodle integration on our development sites and we really want to install the Mahara Assignment Plugin and do some testing before setting up the networking and Mahoodle integration on the production sites.
The information on the Mahara Wiki indicates that the Mahara Assigment plugin does not work with Moodle 2.3 or higher. Has there been any further progress on this?
My question here is do we have an updated version of the Mahara Assignment Plugin that will work for our Mahoodle setup - Moodle 2.3 and Mahara 1.6 ?
28 February 2013, 15:35
There was some discussion about this on the "Moodle Mahara Integration" group's forum: https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4575
It sounds like the main issue is that the Mahara activity in Moodle is a subtype of the old Moodle 2.2 "mod/assignment" plugin, which has been replaced in Moodle 2.3 by the new "mod/assign" plugin.
Moodle 2.3 does still ship with the old assignment plugin, though it's disabled by default -- it's called "Assignment (2.2)". You can try enabling Assignment (2.2) and see whether the plugin works, although from that forum thread it sounds like people still had problems even when they did that.
01 March 2013, 9:47
Thanks Aaron will check out the group and ther forum postings around this. I was vaguely aware that there were issues with the Mahara assignment plugin in 2.3 hence my initial reason for checking.
Thanks again :)
28 February 2013, 23:54
It is true that the Mahara assignment type does not work in the new Moodle 2.3 assignment type, but you can still use the old assignment type in 2.3.
What did I do?
- I activated both the new and the old Moodle assignment type in 2.3
- I removed all the old sub-type assignments (upload, offline, advanced, etc)
- Installed the Mahara sub-type assignment
- in Moodle Language setting I renamed the old "assignment" module to "Mahara assignment"
01 March 2013, 2:35
Hope you doing well in Moodlemoot in Germany.
The work around you suggest work well and I like the idea to rename the old assignement type using the Language setting (have you put this in the 'local' folder?).
About you final thought, I don't think time must be spent on rewritting the Mahara assignement for Moodle 2.3 and on, but I would deam that developers on each side (Mahara-Moodle) put toghether their resources and devlopp a new inter-platform communication (e.g. OAuth).
Wish my dream comes true. Maybe with the launch of OpenBadges in a couple years.
Wish also to see you soon (you owe me a beer, remember?).
01 March 2013, 9:48
Love the clear instructions you have included will see if we can get that working on our dev sites - just need to find some time to fiddle around with it a bit :)
01 March 2013, 14:28
Thanks, Julian! I added a link to this post to https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator%27s_Guide/Moodle//Mahara_Integration/View_Submission#Known_bugs.2Flimitations . Hopefully it can help out some other people who are experiencing this problem.
04 March 2013, 23:30
I am stuck here as well and the steps "Julian" provided should help but the problem I am facing is that I can't seem to do it from step 2 from "what did I do?". I wasn't able to find a place to remove old sub type assignment. I tried Language setting didn't do any good.
It might sound stupid that I can't even do that much but honestly very new and I can't really figure it out. If someone could please guide me.
05 March 2013, 5:42
Sorry, I throw out these instructions so quickly I forget to add the "devils in the details" element.
While adding new assignent types in the old moodle 2.2 assignment type is easy. Removing them is a downright pain.
Follow these steps and all should be well.
- Remove the assignment types from your moodle code by deleting them from /mod/assignment/type.
- You need to change a line in moodle code. Open up mod/assignment/lib.php and search for $standardassignments = array('upload','online','uploadsingle','offline'); You should find this around line 3813. Here you can remove whchever assignmnet types you wish to disable.
05 March 2013, 6:24