Forums | Mahara Community

Comments on feature proposals /
Tagging & Searching

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 August 2009, 20:14

I had one thought - "sort by community usage" is possibly a dodgy tab, as in theory, tags are private like artefacts. It might not be the best if people can see that someone has tagged something 'ihatemyschool' perhaps? Smile
Account deleted

30 August 2009, 23:29

Hi Kristina,

What does the "Edit Tags" page do? Is that a page where you can change the names of your tags?

Richard.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

31 August 2009, 2:03

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback and further questions, Craig, Nigel, and Richard.

@Craig: The filter option to sort tags alphabetically is already hinted at in one of the mockups. Chronological sorting should not be too difficult to achieve and should be included. I don't know why I left it out because that is the primary display in Delicious.

@Nigel: "community tags" tab was not supposed to be there for Mahara. It was just a screenshot from Diigo and I did not rename it. However ;-) , I think we would need something like that when / if the tag search is expanded to groups. I may not yet have tagged something "ed_tech" in a group view, but if I see that somebody else tagged a resource with "ed_tech", I may be interested to take a look at that entry. 

Even in the case of searching for tags group or sitewide, I agree that you should not see everybody's tags as they are private. Diigo and Delicious are different because there you usually tag publicly. If the tag search is extended to include groups etc., would it then be possible to show all the tags of the artefacts to which a user has access (but maybe we should discuss that at a later point to not get confused with the individual tag search)?

@Richard: Correct. On the "Edit tag" page you can rename or delete your own tags easily.

Account deleted

31 August 2009, 6:42

Hm. I am not yet 100% convinced that the tab would be needed even in a Group. When you're in a group, I would expect to see the tags for all the group artefacts - nothing more or less - but who knows? I am not much of a tag user myself Wink (probably from years of using software that doesn't do tags properly!!)

Yes, let's keep the issue of seeing "tags you can access" separate - it's a tricky challenge, certainly surmountable, but if we can keep to a smaller amount of work now to get much benefit, I say let's do that! 

31 August 2009, 13:59

Hi Nigel,

"Yes, let's keep the issue of seeing "tags you can access" separate - it's a tricky challenge, certainly surmountable"

Yep. As you will be developing the tag search for individuals and their own content first and we said we would leave the group tags for later, let's see how such group tags work once we have concquered the first mountain. :-)

Kristina

Account deleted

02 September 2009, 18:36

Hi Kristina,

I noticed in your document that you say the tag clouds should be enabled/disabled by institutions rather than by the whole site.  We would prefer to keep the feature enabled/disabled at the site level, and I'm just wondering why you thought it should be done at the institution level, because it will lead to complications for users who belong to multiple institutions.

If we were to implement tag clouds on the institution level, then to decide whether a user should have their tag cloud displayed I guess we would search through all their institutions, and if the user belongs to any institution that has the tag cloud enabled, then they will see it.

Institutions could never be sure of turning tag clouds off for their users, but they could ensure that they were on I guess.  But if there is a good reason to enable the tag cloud for some users on the site, it doesn't do any harm to enable it for everyone, does it?

03 September 2009, 13:38

Hello Richard,

The only compelling reason to turn on / off the tag cloud on the institution level was to give the institutions more freedom in deciding whether they want to show the tag search or not.

I have no idea how many people use the institution feature (we don't) and thus, if we would need to go into the trouble of finding a solution or whether it is enough to leave it at installation level. As a more elaborate search (not just for tags) will come one day, I guess, we could turn on / off the tag search on the installation level.

Kristina

Account deleted

03 September 2009, 16:21

Hi Kristina,
The institutions feature was designed for regional portfolio services - e.g. www.myportfolio.ac.nz
If it's not used much for individual institutional installations then having this feature as a site-wide setting shouldn't be a problem. It's great to see all these features potentially coming in - thank-you.

cheers
Richard

Account deleted

17 September 2009, 16:36

A preliminary version of this feature is now available at http://dev.mahara.org.  Feel free to register there and try it out if you are interested.

You can tag Views, blogs & posts, files, folders and images, and you can choose how many tags to display in your cloud under Settings > Preferences.

There is still some more theming work to be done but the features described in Kristina's pdf are available.  Bug reports and opinions welcome!

18 September 2009, 13:06

My first comments are at http://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=935 and Richard answers there as the discussion in that thread had shifted to the tags over there.