Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Notes in Groups

Sam Taylor's profile picture

20 April 2018, 3:11

Hello,

Our students are wanting to use the 'notes' block in their group portfolios to act as a 'back to home page' button on multiple collections.

Q1: Where does the note sit? It doesn't sit in the users' notes, and I can't find anywhere in the group for it to go.

In addition to this, we may have found a bug:

1. In a group page in Mahara, add the Note block and add text to it. Save and return to the page
  2. Go to another page in the group and add a note block
  3. Choose content from an existing note and save.
  4. Content has disappeared from the note block.
  5. Go back to the first page with the note block, and the content has gone from there too.
  6. Update either block once and the new content appears in both blocks.

Using Mahara 17.04

Can anyone else replicate this issue and answer my first question about where the notes live?

Regards,

Sam

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 April 2018, 22:59

Hi Sam,

I'm afraid there is no "Notes" tab like you have the navigation menu item "Notes" under "Content". I created a wishlist item at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1765670 to add that functionality. The same actually also applies to institution and site notes.

In regard to text disappearing in group notes: I wasn't able to replicate this on demo.mahara.org (18.04) nor on a Mahara 17.04, the version that you have. We verified that you took the same steps that I took. I suspect that there is an issue in your codebase that doesn't pull the content from a previous note properly thus pulling no content. Since you then save the note with no content, it'll be overwritten in the other location. When you open the block again, type some text, and save it again, this new content is recognized and updated in the other location.

It's not a device issue as you don't encounter the problem when you test on the demo site.

So what would need to be figured out is why your instance doesn't pull the content from an existing group note correctly. The sites I was testing were all running Postgres and were on PHP 7.0. You are running 10.1 MariaDB and PHP 5.6.

Cheers

Kristina

2 results