Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Introduction filled in on Profile information disappears after a while

Bas Bakker's profile picture

25 August 2016, 2:44

Recently I noticed the information I have added to the 'Introduction' field' by using the 'profile information block'. disappears after a while. Other fields I added to my Profile page like mobile phone, skype adress don't disappear.

I don't know what could be the cause of this. Anyone any idea? Or could it be a bug?

Mahara version 16.04.0

Profile-information-introduction-field.png.1

Profile information block.png

profileinformation-field.png

Ghada El-Zoghbi's profile picture

25 August 2016, 7:14

Hi Bas,

I can't say I've seen this before. Very odd...

Does it disappear after a few days, hours, etc?

The only thing I can think of is perhaps you're importing a portfolio with an empty intro which is overwriting yours.

Can you provide a few more clues/observations and steps of when you think this is happening?

Thanks,
Ghada

25 August 2016, 10:45

Hi Ghada,

It's after a few hours (or maybe less). The information I have added at the same time I added this post has disappeared, when I just checked.

It is an existing portfolio. I am not importing any other portfolio.

I just add the text to the profile page under the content tab. Then add the field to my profile by using the profile informatio block.

After I click save the information is shown on the page. When I return to the page later, the information is gone.

Aaron Wells's profile picture

25 August 2016, 12:25

Hi Bas,

We had a high-severity bug a few months back, where two users could wind up "sharing" the same Mahara session. If your site is on PHP 5.3 and you haven't upgraded your Mahara site recently, it might be that bug, and the random blacking may be caused by another user deleting the text that, from their perspective, keeps getting mysteriously added to their profile: https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=7589

Another way that profile data can get blanked out is if you've set your auth method to update user info on login. But if that's the cause, you should only see it changing when you log out and back in again.

Cheers,

Aaron

25 August 2016, 19:14

Hi Aaron,

It looks like the issue occurs when I log out and in again. Strange thing is that only the 'Introduction' field is blanked out. Other fields, like mobile and skype-id, are still visible on the page (profile information block).after loging out and in again.

We have a Mahoodle installation. So maybe it has to do with the way our authentication method is set up. However it is desireble to have user info updated between Moodle and Mahara. But if this causes the issue we have to re-consider this setting.

Bas

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 September 2016, 12:30

Hello Bas,

In this case the important piece of information was Mahoodle. I was about to ask you if that were the case. The issue is not a bug per se but expected behavior. I suspect that you have "Update user info upon login" set to "Yes" for your MNet auth in Mahara. That's why every time you log in, it would pull the information from Moodle. If you don't have a description set there, it'll remove the one in Mahara.

There are three possibilities from here:

1. Don't update info on each login, but that might not bring other info along that you want to have updated.
  2. Provide your introduction in Moodle.
  3. Don't use the introduction field there, but the introduction field that you can set in the "Profile / Personal information" block.

Cheers

Kristina

6 results