Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
The file was too big

Conn Warwicker's profile picture

22 September 2015, 20:19

Hi,

On our Mahara I am unable to upload any files to pages, as regardless of the type of size it always says "the file was too big. Please ask your administrator for more information".

Our site limit is 3.9GB, but even if I am trying to upload a 1-pixel image that is about 116 bytes, it says "the file is too big".

I cannot upload a screenshot. "

Sorry, newly registered users aren't allowed to post links. Please reword your post to remove any links or URLs and try again.

Mahara version: 1.9.1

Could anyone assist with this?

Thank you.

Aaron Wells's profile picture

23 September 2015, 12:09

Hi Conn,

I've turned off the "new user" flag on your account, so you should be able to insert screenshots here now. :)

Usually the message "The file was too big. Please ask your administrator for more information.", is caused when the file uploaded is larger than one of the following:

1. The user's file quota in Mahara
  2. The upload_max_filesize directive in your web server's php.ini
  3. The post_max_size directive in your web server's php.ini

You'd probably notice if it was the Mahara file quote, so try checking your server's upload_max_filesize and post_max_size values.

Cheers,

Aaron

23 September 2015, 19:58

Hi,

upload_max_filesize is 4000M

post_max_size is 4000M

In Mahara:

Default Quota: 500 megabytes

Maximum quota: 1 Gigabyte

Default group quota: 50 megabytes

Looking in the database the "quota" field for my user is:

With 2226907 quotaused.

Here is the screenshot:

download.php?file=427777&embedded=1&group=1&post=29664

Kevin Rickis's profile picture

23 September 2015, 22:48

Hi Conn,

are the values quoted "upload_max_filesize is 4000M post_max_size is 4000M" taken from the main php.ini file or from looking at the output of phpinfo() ? If the values are from the main php.ini then they can be overridden by a local copy of php.ini or by entries in a .htaccess file.

Kind regards,

Kevin

23 September 2015, 23:35

They are the same in the phpinfo() output, yes. And we don't have any problems with uploading files in our Moodle, which runs on the same server as Mahara.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 September 2015, 8:52

Hello Conn,

Since it looks like you still have enough quota left in your account but can't upload the file, does the problem also occur in other accounts where there is still quota left or is it just this account?

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

24 September 2015, 12:04

One more thing to check, but it's kind of a long shot. There's an undocumented Mahara config setting called maxuploadsize, which can limit the maximum size of a Mahara file upload, in bytes. You can check to see if that's set in your config.php file or in the "config" table of your site's database. If that setting exists and is set to something low but non-zero (like 100, or 1) then that might cause the problem you're seeing.

24 September 2015, 19:55

Hi,

It's not just my account, it's other accounts as well.

There is no setting with that name in the config.php or the config table.

I've also checked that the web server has permissions to write to the maharadata folder and all its sub folders.

Still no luck, and staff are starting to ask about it, as students can't upload any files. :-(

24 September 2015, 22:45

Digging into the code I have found at least what the error is, and have posted on stackoverflow to see if anyone there has any ideas:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/32759349/php-upload-error-2-max-file-size

9 results