Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
SAML 2.0 for Mahara

08 April 2015, 19:27

I am trying to setup SSO for Mahara using SimpleSAML, the plugin seems to be missing from the list of available Plugins, does this work the latest 15.04 release candidate 2? and where can I get a copy of the plugin compatible with the latest Mahara build?

Ref link : https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins/Auth/Saml and 

https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins

regards,

Ramu

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 April 2015, 22:37

Hello Ramu,

SAML is available as authentication method directly in Mahara, but it is true that there still needs to be made some setup on the server to connect the IdP to Mahara. I'm afraid I can't help more with that as I don't know what our developers usually configure to set it up to work with Mahara.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

14 April 2015, 11:21

Hi Ramu,

The Mahara SAML plugins ships with Mahara core. You should see it on the "Administration -> Extensions -> Plugin Administration" page, and listed as one of the "Authentication plugin" options when you are configuring an institution.

That first wiki page you linked to describes how to configure it. The part that is perhaps not clearly spelled out there, is that you'll need to separately download the SimpleSAMLPHP library and place it on your webserver. (The dev who originally wrote this plugin took the unorthodox approach of assuming people would want to maintain the SimpleSAMLPHP library separately from the rest of Mahara.) You'll also need to configure SimpleSAMLPHP with your IDP's connection information.

Once that's done, you go to "Administration -> Extensions -> Plugin Administration", click the "Configure" link for the "saml" plugin, and fill in the location of SimpleSAMLPHP on your webserver, and the location of its config.

And once that's done, you can use the SAML authentication plugin with your Mahara institutions.

Cheers,
Aaron

15 April 2015, 15:34

thanks Aaron, we are having a look at those settings. 

Already having some issues with Moodle where the plugin, once setup, tires to create users automatically after the SSO and not use the users who are already present. Just going to set this up and test to see if the same happens. 

We have ADFS setup and wanted to hookup with Moodle and Mahara with the ADFS for authentication using the SAML plugin. 

16 April 2015, 16:39

Worked around the problem by creating SSO between Mahara and Moodle.

Moodle now working with SAML SSO with AD.

Hopefully when we push these settings to Production, there are no more issues.

Regards,

Ramu

5 results