Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Prevent outside group member leave comments

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

25 October 2014, 7:37

We are having a problem: All eportfolio users (?) at our institution are currently able to see and leave comments on other people's eportfolios as long as they are direct links; however only people within a created user group should be able to see and leave comments on one another's eportfolio. How can I restrict that? 

Aaron Wells's profile picture

29 October 2014, 14:24

Hi Jea,

Can you explain what you mean by "direct links"?

If you want to know more about Mahara's access controls, you might also find this section of the Mahara user manual helpful: http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.9/portfolio/share.html#share

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

30 October 2014, 4:37

Thank for responding my message. I meant "secret URL". We don't want anyone to leave message beside a group member.

Thanks again!

Jea

Aaron Wells's profile picture

30 October 2014, 11:29

Hi Jea,

Okay, here's what you need to do. On the page's permissions screen, under "Advanced Options", there'll be a checkbox labelled "Allow comments". If this is ticked, it will allow anyone who can see the page, to comment on the page. If it is unticked, then you can choose separately for each class of users whether or not they're allowed to comment.

So basically you want to:

1. On the page's permissions screen, under "Advanced options", untick "Allow comments".

2. On the same screen, look for the permission that shows that the page is shared with the group. If this isn't already set up, then add one by clicking the "+" next to the group's name under "Share with my groups"

3. Now next to the group's permission record, in addition to the "Added" and "Access start date/time" and "Access end date/time" columns, you should see a "Comments" column. Tick "Allow" in that column.

If you go to the list of Secret URLs for that page, you'll also see that you now have the ability to enable or disable commenting for each Secret URL as well. (These will all have commenting disabled by default.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 November 2014, 16:11

Hi Jea,

Also see the user manual for what Aaron described. The second screenshot in the section "Choose advanced options" shows you what it looks like when you can decide who shall be able to leave a comment.

Cheers

Kristina

5 results