Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Change "retractable" to "collapsable"?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 August 2014, 13:37

Hello,

When you set up a block on a page, you can decide whether you want to "retract" it or not. That means, you can show only the block heading and then when clicking on the little arrow, you see the entire content. Take a look at https://mahara.org/partners if you haven't used the functionality yet.

Showing some users this functionality, I realized that "retractable" wasn't the best word we could have chosen. What do you think we changed it to "collapsable" for Mahara 1.10? Or would there be a better word than that or should we leave it at "retractable"?

We are going to finalize the language strings for Mahara 1.10 within the next couple of weeks as we are getting closer to the release.

Thank you

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

15 August 2014, 15:28

Hi Kristina

Personally I don't think it matters too much, but then again I don't use a lot of these platforms.  Probably whichever term is in most common usage makes the most sense. Collapsible with an 'i; though if you're going to go down that route.

Cheers

Alan

31 August 2014, 15:02

Hello Alan,

Thank you very much. I'll ask some other users as well.

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

01 September 2014, 2:51

How about 'Show Open' and 'Show Closed' or 'Open' and 'Closed'

01 September 2014, 10:13

Hi Dirk,

I think those might need more explanation.

Cheers

Kristina

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

02 September 2014, 16:24

Hi Kristina,

what do you mean? Collapsible and Retractable need explanation to elementary aged students for sure.

Dirk

03 September 2014, 8:18

Hello Dirk,

True, they always need explanations. And I'm going to review the little grey text as well to write that not necessarily using the language of the title of the option.

Cheers

Kristina

Shen Zhang's profile picture

02 September 2014, 10:28

Hi Kristina,

We are using "Collapsible" in our system.

English language to me is still in black and white color. But my team has agreed that "retractable" is not the best word to use.

Kind regards,

Shen

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

02 September 2014, 19:33

Well, for a non-technical person like me collapsible is marginally better, but until we show students they aren't motivated to try it. Most prefer to leave it open rather than closed. 

Aaron Wells's profile picture

03 September 2014, 10:46

I lean towards "collapsible" (and "collapsed").

And by the way, it's more correctly spelled collapsible, not collapsable. Wink

Cheers,

Aaron

10 results