Forums | Mahara Community

Pedagogy /
Mozilla PopCorn

Gideon Williams's profile picture
Posts: 108

08 March 2014, 6:55

Popcorn is a fabulous free Web2 tool that lets you annotate and add features to a YouTube video.

It also has embed options in iframes. The problem for me is the code for one particular project I made was:

"<iframe src='' width='560' height='358' frameborder='0' mozallowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>"

I am not sure what to put into the iframe source on mahara to allow this to play as it appears to be specific to the user?

Might anyone/everyone smarter than me possibly know what might work?


Many thanks

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture
Posts: 4729

09 March 2014, 11:41

Hello Gideon,

Like with other iframes, it is always at least the domain. I used "" in the allowed iframe sources and could embed your video.




Gideon Williams's profile picture
Posts: 108

09 March 2014, 22:34

Thanks Kristina. Unfortunately my students don't have access to the I frame source feature so I am not sure what to put in that would let everyone use this source.
Aaron Wells's profile picture
Posts: 896

10 March 2014, 10:42

So you're saying that each user has their own subdomain? Like:


The interface for setting up allowed iframe sources can't handle that. You need a wildcard as part of the domain name, but the "Extensions -> Allowed Iframe Sources" page doesn't let you enter a wildcard.

On the other hand, it is possible to get this working by hacking your configuration directly in the database. What Mahara does on the back end is combine all the iframe sources into a regular expression that matches a URL from any of them, and this regular expression is stored in the config table as "iframeregex". Since a regular expression by definition allows wildcards, you could modify the "iframeregex" value in the DB to match any subdomain. But, it would get reverted the next time someone hits "save" on the "Allowed iframe Sources" page.

On the other other hand, it (probably) wouldn't be too much work to alter the "Allowed iframe sources" page to allow wildcards.



4 results