Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Internal registration fails with for one domain

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

30 October 2013, 11:18

Hi,

Users from a College are unable to fully complete the registration to a 1.8. They register, fill out the fileds and initially receive a success message. When they immediately check their email the verification email is there. When they click the link in the email, they recieve a message that 24 hours have expired and they can not complete the process. I then go in and manually reset their password and then the account works.
I think this is domain related as others can register. Where would I start looking? Thanks

We are on 1.8, Mysql, Debian,

Cheers

30 October 2013, 11:56

More info, maybe irrelevant:
Domain is this format: [email protected]
I have never seen three dots in a address so I think it's strange :)
Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

30 October 2013, 23:03

Hello Dirk,

Do all users go through the same registration process or are some self registration and for others pending registration where an admin needs to approve before the account is set up?

It shouldn't really depend on your email address esp. when they receive the first message. Since you say that the 24 hours aren't respected, maybe the time is off on the server? Do the other users who have a "correct" email domain do everything else exactly the same as the ones for whom it doesn't work?

Cheers

Kristina

31 October 2013, 10:20

Thanks Kristina,
yes, all go thru same process, same institution, no admin approaval required. Its for portfoliocommunities.
The only pattern I see is that the users are 17 hours ahead of server time and that their email format is multi sub-domain ([email protected] etc) It is affecting more then one domain.
Here is the actual error message they see. I'll look for server error messages also and will post here.

'Sorry, there does not seem to be a registration with this key. Perhaps you
waited longer than 24 hours to complete your registration? Otherwise, it might
be our fault.'

Aaron Wells's profile picture

31 October 2013, 14:28

Here in NZ schools use the second-level domains "school.nz" and "ac.nz", so you wind up with lots of Mahara sites running on four-part domain names like "mahara.hogwarts.school.nz". So that's probably a red herring. And the time comparison is based solely on server time, so that shouldn't be affecting just one school either.

I think the most likely thing is that their school's mail server is mangling the activation link such that Mahara no longer recognizes the key. For instance, perhaps it's putting a line break in the middle of it, so that when they click through they're only sending part of the key.

You get that same error message whether you send through a bad key or an expired key. Perhaps it would be a useful patch if someone split up the logic to give a more specific error message, "I didn't recognize that key", or "That key has expired". I'll file a "bite-sized" bug about that.

Cheers,

Aaron

01 November 2013, 18:26

I discovered a problem with my vhost file which I fixed and maybe that was related? Thanks for the help.

6 results