Forums | Mahara Community
Mahara 1.8.0 is here!
24 October 2013, 7:00 PM
Hello Mahara users!
Six months have passed again, and thus, it is time for a Mahara release. This is a big release with lots of new features and also bug fixes.
We have exciting huge new features that we are happy to introduce in Mahara:
- Entirely new icon set and updated stylesheets and templates
- Content / artefact chooser is now on the left-hand side
- Elasticsearch search plugin (PostgreSQL support in 1.8 only; MySQL support projected for 1.9)
- Flexible page layouts allowing users to align content in rows and not only columns
- Page skins
- Import Leap2A files into an existing account
Other notable new features include:
- Attachments on résumé fields and text boxes / notes
- Embedding of PDFs in a page
- Drag and drop files into the files area
- Tags on all internal artefacts
- LDAP user and group sync
- Admin features: Filter for duplicate email addresses, display authentication method in the user search
See the full list of new features and bug fixes here:
How to install / upgrade
You can find instructions on how to install a new Mahara site or upgrade an existing one on our wiki:
If you are looking for translations, have a look at this page:
Both Mahara 1.6 and 1.7 are still supported for security updates. The support for Mahara 1.6 will end with the release of 1.9 (targeted for April 2014), and the support for Mahara 1.7 will end with Mahara 2.0 (targeted for October 2014).
For more information, please see https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/SupportedVersions
If you are running a Mahara site lower than 1.6, we highly recommend you upgrade to 1.8 to receive security updates. Users of Mahara 1.6 and 1.7 can stay on their versions until that support runs out.
All site administrators running a supported version of Mahara are encouraged to subscribe to our security announcements:
Support and bugs
If you find any bugs in this new release, please feel free to use our bug tracker to report them:
And if you need help with anything, the support forum is the best place to ask your questions:
The user manual has been updated to reflect the changes that we have made for Mahara 1.8. New features are listed under the "New in Mahara 1.8" index entry.
We would like to thank the following organisations for funding the features and bug fixes that have gone into Mahara 1.8 (in alphabetical order):
- Catalyst IT
- Forth Valley College, Jasmin Hodge
- Lancaster University
- Massey University
- New Zealand Ministry of Education
- Teachers College Columbia University
- University of California, San Francisco
- University of the Arts, London
Mahara Partner fees contributed to infrastructural support.
We would also like to highlight all the people who have contributed code to this release.
Code contributors (listed are the number of changesets per contributor):
Developers with the most changesets:
|Kristina D.C. Hoeppner||12||4.0%|
And the organisations they work for:
|University of California, San Francisco||1||0.3%|
|University of the Arts London||1||0.3%|
The most complete translations at the time of writing (at least 90%):
- Basque (Contributors: Abel Camacho, Asier Iturralde Sarasola, Iñaki Arenaza, Juan Ezeiza)
- Catalan (Contributors: Albert Gasset, David Planella, Joan Queralt Gil, Puri Andrés)
- French (Contributors: Dominique-Alain Jan, Hélène V., Pascale Hyboud-Peron, Paula Caterino, londumas, Philippe Petitquex)
- Greek (Contributors: Hasiotis Nikos, Ioannis Katsenos, Kostas Milonas, Yannis Kaskamanidis)
- Japanese (Contributor: Mitsuhiro Yoshida)
- Slovenian (Contributor: Gregor Anželj)
For a full list of translations and contributors, please see
And finally, thanks also go to the security researchers who help make Mahara secure.
The 1.8 Release Managers
Edits to this post:
- Kristina Hoeppner - 28 October 2013, 12:34 PM