Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
The local folder

Wullie's profile picture

23 October 2013, 23:23

Quick question about the local folder.

If you want to make local changes to files (e.g. setting the resume lang files to CV), do I need to recreate the whole path to the file or just add in the file (in the example above, do I need /artefact/resume/lang/en.utf8/artefact.resume.php or do I just put the arterfact.resume.php file into the local folder)?

Thanks

24 October 2013, 21:23

Hi Wullie

As in the Langpacks folder you have to recreate the whole path.

djan
Wullie's profile picture

24 October 2013, 21:25

That's what I assumed, but when it didn't work as I thought it should, I thought I'd double check.

Now to see why it didn't work for me...hmmm

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 October 2013, 22:56

Hello Wullie,

As far as I can tell from one of our installations, you don't re-create the entire path, but just put the php lang file into your local lang folder. That works for us for the CPD plugin. I have

/local/lang/en.utf8/artefacts.cpds.php

and that changes my lang strings for the CPD plugin.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

24 October 2013, 23:46

Perfect. Problem solved now.

Thanks Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

09 November 2013, 4:00

Kristina,

Can I ask how this works for tpl files as well?

For example, I want to change the filedownload.tpl (/artefact/file/blocktype/filedownload/theme/raw) to make the text string 50 characters rather than 20.

I tried the file in the /local folder and tried creating a /local/theme/raw folder and having it in there, but neither worked.

I have a few small adjustments to pages (both through .tpl files and .css files) and if I could drop them in there after each upgrade rather than adjusting each time (both for full version and small security upgrades) that would save a good amount of time.

Thanks

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 November 2013, 8:46

Hello Wullie,

For themes I only know that you'd create your own theme if you want to make changes.

Which text string do you mean in the filedownload block? Is it the number of characters displayed of the file title? We made a change to that in 1.8 so more of the title is shown. Bumping just the number of may not be so good if you have a narrow block.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

11 November 2013, 11:56

Hi Wullie,

It actually does work for template files as well, just as you described it. Except, it doesn't work for plugin template files. Embarassed

I noticed this myself a few weeks back and filed a bug about it: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1231755

Now that I know someone is actually affected by this issue, I'll try to make sure to address it at some point.

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

31 December 2013, 3:28

This affects me as well.

Melissa

25 April 2014, 22:22

Hi Aaron,

By the way, do you have a doc or some tech infos about everything that can be put into the local folder.

I am preparing a short talk on this for the next Mahara Hui FR.

Any material on this is appreciated

Cheers,

-dajan

13 results