Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Moodle 1.9 and mahara SSL / Networking problem

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

18 October 2013, 0:09

Hi

We have an install of moodle 1.9 and mahara 1.4.1 with them installed on seperate computers. It used to work but suddenly we get the following error message when students click through from Moodle or when i login as the admin and go to Administration and networking within Mahara i get the same error message.

The environment where SWHS Mahara is running is misconfigured and this is causing problems. You probably need to contact a server administrator to get this fixed. Details, if any, follow:

Could not generate a new SSL key. Are you sure that both openssl and the PHP module for openssl are installed on this machine?

Any ideas what could be causing this? I am new to the world of mahara.

Cheers

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

21 October 2013, 15:43

Hello Tom,

The message says that it could not generate a new SSL key. You'll need to check if both openssl and the PHP module for openssl are installed on the server. It seems like something might be missing. Did you move the site to a new server by any chance?

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

25 October 2013, 12:22

To expand on what Kristina said, part of the MNet specification is that Mahara and Moodle periodically replace their SSL keys with new ones. This is done automatically and, as you've noticed from the long period when it was working, it's normally pretty seamless. :)

As the error message says, you need to check that the openssl PHP module and OpenSSL itself are installed on the web server. If it was working before and it suddenly isn't, it suggests that the site was moved to a different machine that lacks these modules, or perhaps an upgrade of your operating system disabled them.

Cheers,

Aaron

3 results