Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Plugins don't work after upgrading

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 September 2013, 2:51

Hello. After upgrading Mahara I got a message that certain plugins were disabled, including ilps, cpds, and europass. So I went back and copied them back. Now, they do show on the Plugin Administration page but don't appear on the menu under Content.

Also, there is a page in my own portfolio that cannot be deleted. When I try to delete it there is an error message:

"Site unavailable

A nonrecoverable error occurred. This probably means you have encountered a bug in the system"

Finally, I would like advice on how to change the favicon for the site. I went into the site folder and replaced the favicon.ico file, but it hasn't changed it. Is this a caching issue?

Account deleted

20 September 2013, 3:22

I cleared my browser cache and the favicon changed, so ignore the last one.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 September 2013, 13:29

Hello Tom,

Can you please check your error log? Often, more explit error messages are logged there. If there is nothing, it might help to know from which version to what version you are trying to upgrade.

Thanks

Kristina

Account deleted

20 September 2013, 17:46

Hi Kristina,

I upgraded from 1.6 to 1.7.2. Do you mean the error_log file in the root directory? Not sure how to read it - don't speak that language ;(  - so I'm adding a screenshot here. It appears that there is a missing file in the theme which is a .png file. The other problem seems to be that a collection wasn't found. Afraid my knowledge is too limited here.

Tom

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 September 2013, 22:11

Hi Tom,

This looks like the correct error file. :-) It seems that all block icons for the plugins are missing. Are the plugins properly installed, i.e. are they in the artefact folder in your Mahara instance? As I'm not a developer either, I don't know what else might be wrong. Maybe Gregor, the plugin dev, or another developer knows.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

27 September 2013, 18:54

Hi Kristina,

Yes, as you can see from my reply to Aaron, I have reinstalled the plugins into the /artefact folder, and they all see to be correct.

Tom

Aaron Wells's profile picture

23 September 2013, 12:07

Hi Tom,

From that error message, and from your description of what happened, it sounds like you upgraded your base Mahara installation (i.e, unzipped the Mahara 1.7 zip file, and replaced the contents of your web directory with the contents of that zip file). BUT, you did not copy your 3rd-party plugins into the new installation. Or, you copied them into the wrong location.

I'd recommend going to the Plugins page ( https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Plugins ), download the latest code for the ILP, CPD, and Europass plugins, and install them into your 1.7 web directory. If you've done this correctly, the plugins should be installed into these directories:

• /home1/contact1/public_html/mahara/artefact/cpds
  • /home1/contact1/public_html/mahara/artefact/ilps
  • /home1/contact1/public_html/mahara/artefact/europass

And what I mean by that is that each one of those directories should contain a "lib.php" and a "version.php" (and a bunch of other files that will vary depending on the plugin).

Once you've done this, you may need to go to the Administration -> Extensions -> Plugin Administration page to re-enable the plugins. Note that some of them will install blocktypes in addition to the basice artefact, and you may need to re-enable those blocktypes as well.

Cheers,

Aaron

Account deleted

27 September 2013, 18:52

Hi Aaron,

Yes, you're right. But after I realised that I hadn't copied the 3rd party plugins I went back and did so. All the files you mention have been in the place /artefact folder. But just to make sure, I deleted them, and copied anew. Unfortunately nothing changed. The lib.php and version.php files are all in the correct place. Moreover, after I deleted and copied the files the plugin admin page did not ask me to re-enable them. Only the error message that these plugins were disabled stopped showing. So the website thinks that they are there, but does not show them under the content menu.

Tom

Aaron Wells's profile picture

30 September 2013, 12:52

Hi Tom,

Hm, that makes it a bit trickier to debug. Try this:

1. Check the file system permissions for the new plugins, making sure that they're the same as the permissions for the core plugins (i.e., all directories readable by the web server, all files readable and executable by the web server). Often when I'm testing plugins, I copy them into the right directory but don't change the permissions, or sometimes I'll change the permissions on the plugin's directory, but forget to do it recursively, so that not all the enclosed files have the right permissions.

2. Check if there are any messages in your PHP error logs. The exact location of the logs depends on your operating system and configuration. In Ubuntu Linux, by default PHP errors get printed to the Apache error logs at /var/log/apache2/error.log

Cheers,

Aaron

9 results