Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
New users not being allowed to join group

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

27 August 2013, 2:31

Hey there,

I'm hoping you can please help with the following.

I work for a higher education establishment, I have one user who has created a group with the request mode switched on under group settings.

The lecturer can recieve student requests ok through her inbox within Mahara, however can only get as far as student pending, they cannot enrol the students into the group.

The interesting part is, the lecturer recieves what we call the Mahara digest through Outlook and can enrol stduents through this, but this has on;y worked for some of the students.

I was going to suggest wsitching hte group options to either 'open' or 'controlled'.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Greg

Aaron Wells's profile picture

27 August 2013, 12:35

Hi Greg,

I just trialed the process, and it works for me in 1.7. A few questions that may help figure out what's going on:

1. What version of Mahara are you using?

2. What happens when the lecturer clicks on the "Add so-and-so" button on the Pending Members page?

3. Has the admin lecturer tried going to the user's profile and adding them to the group from there?

4. Do you see any errors/warnings in your PHP error log from when the lecturer has tried to accept a group join request? (The location of the PHP error log varies by system; in Ubuntu Linux it'll be folded into the Apache error log, by default at /var/log/apache2/error.log )

Cheers,

Aaron

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

31 August 2013, 3:15

Hi Aaron,

Many thanks for your reply.

We are currently using 1.7

Clicking on the add so and so button in the pending page works OK. What doesn't work is the requests don't come to the pending members. When the lecturer clicks on pending members under their request her my inbox, pending members is empty .

She has thought about adding the group through their profile, but we're talking well over a 100 students.

Couldnt confirm your last question.

If you could provide any insight, that would be smashing thanks.

Cheers,

Greg

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 September 2013, 7:58

Hello Greg,

Is this lecturer the only admin in the group? Any group admin would receive the notification about pending members and if the second one swooped in before the lecturer, they could already have added the members. Can you please confirm that the users in question have not yet been added to the group by another group admin?

Thank you

Kristina

4 results