Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara / Problems with my Hosting / Trigger install issue

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

10 June 2013, 23:19

Hi all  , and thanks in advantatge.

Actually i'm installing mahara for a little kindergarten friends ( 20 kids ) , and i try to install mahara in my hosting , but i have a big problem , in the installation , mahara alert me this

[Mahara requires permission to create database triggers, but is unable to do so. Please ensure that the trigger privilege]

I look the wiki and the solution are this :  GRANT SUPER ON*.*TOuser@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY'password';

But my hosting do not support database triggers and i only i have acces to myphpadmin (not console)

What i can do ? ( not is valid change the hosting , is the easy way! :) )

Thanks for all

--

Francesc

11 June 2013, 1:04

Hello Joan,

You are not the only one with this problem which has already been discussed several times in the forums. Unfortunately there is no other solution that finding a provider supporting database triggers.

Sorry about this

Regards,

-dajan

PS : a solution would be in using an old Mahara version which doesn't need database triggers. I think that up to  and including 1.5, triggers were not needed (see https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4499)

Account deleted

11 June 2013, 4:34

Hi Dominique

And thanks for your reply , i'm really new with mahara and mysql databases , and for a moments i'm lost , well i contact with my hosting and his finnaly was that they can do support and dont enable for security reasons "sigh".

I do that you recomend me , i have installed

http://www.linfant.com/emahara (1.5.10 )

http://www.linfant.com/efolio (1.5)

And same error ... i dont know if i downgrade more to 1.4 there are any security reason for dont install it ..

Mahara requires permission to create database triggers, but is unable to do so. Please ensure that the trigger privilege has been granted to the appropriate user in your MySQL installation. For instructions on how to do this, see https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/System_Administrator's_Guide/Granting_Trigger_Privilege

$cfg->dbtype = 'mysql5';

$cfg->dbhost = 'xarxacat.powwebmysql.com';

$cfg->dbport = null;

$cfg->dbname = 'araham';

$cfg->dbuser = 'usuarimahara';

$cfg->dbpass = 'beautifulpassword';

$cfg->wwwroot = 'https://www.linfant.com/efolio/'; (and the others directorys )

$cfg->dataroot = '/home/users/web/b1206/pow.xarxacat/htdocs/maharadades';

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 June 2013, 8:02

Hello Francesc,

I would not recommend installing an older version of Mahara because you are likely not to get security updates. Mahara 1.5 is still supported until October 2013, but after that we are not going to publish security updates anymore making your install vulnerable to attacks.

I'd rather you find a hosting provider that allows you to create database triggers. Otherwise, you'll never be able to upgrade to a later version that will have enhancements over an old version.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

11 June 2013, 11:38

Another option, is check to see if your host supports triggers for Postgres databases.

Cheers,
Aaron

Account deleted

11 June 2013, 19:06

Really thanks for your response , my hosting doesnt support triggers , postgres , InnoDB privileges ,,,  is futil install mahara :|  , my only way is search a new hosting or try to use buddypress for wordpress ( i like do something that www.storypark.com , if i do something work admin delete the website ) but isnt the same that mahara.

Any cheep and good hosting ? :)

11 June 2013, 21:07

Hello,

I agree with Kristina that it is always better to use the latest version to ensure support, bug fixes and security releases. But in certain circumstances, and according to the context, you may be forced to lower your expectation and find an acceptable risk/investment balance. So far, I never had problem with previous versions of Mahara (such as data loss) and was also able to live with formers' limitations.

So, even if it is not recommended you could use a previous version of Mahara that don't request database triggers.

Unfortunately, I don't have good addresses to give to you about cheap and good hosting. I personally use my own cheap old PC server with an fixed IP address and I also have a contract with Informaniak in Switzerland: they are very pro and reliable but not cheap.

Googleing is maybe the best way to find your Graal. You can also have a look at service providers in North Africa (Tunisia, Morocco). They usually have good expertise and provide competitive services. All depends on where you want to have your data hosted.

Wish you all the best in your quest.

-dajan

Account deleted

13 June 2013, 8:31

Really thanks for your all replys , for me is very important the security becouse in this portafolio can be pictures from the kindergarten (babys) , the another option about install a "micro server" in the school is .. possible ( for 300E€ i have a atom with memory and a hard drive with solid hard drive) but the people that manage dont have knowledge about computers and the "DSL" no more have 20 kbs for upload! )

I look the isp from switzerland and actualy i pay the same in TheUsa , if this can allow triggers i can change it . For me is more good that stay in europe for the Digital Protection personal Law's ( and yes! the school no more have 24 kids! ) but i work in a little city countil and i test in my computer mahara and that the same that like translate for the relationships Kids/School/Fathers.

Really thank's for try to helpme in this way :)

Account deleted

13 June 2013, 13:04

Hi Francesc,

At UC we actively ask students to blur the faces of children, school badges, etc before uploading images to their portfolios.

Cheers,

Shane.

--

Shane Nuessler, BIS, PGC Online Education

e-Learning Designer, Mahara e-Portfolio Support,

Unit Outline Repository Manager

Teaching and Learning Centre

Phone: 6201 5655

Email: [email protected]

Web: http://shanenuessler.blogspot.com.au

Account deleted

21 June 2013, 23:47

Thanks for ur recomendation Shane :),

Normaly they use a standart legal document for take pictures or videos , and this people can see the pictures in the website (is a simple groupware files) , this is the reason that i like use mahara , is a next step to the relation school/teachers ( its a kindergarten , they have 0 to 3 years! )

Normaly in a special events  , they blur the faces for the people that dont signed the legal document , and excluyed for use it :)

14 results