Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Leaving feedback on artefacts

Wullie's profile picture

10 June 2013, 23:00

Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to get 'Place Feedback' to appear on any of my artefact views.

I've had a small dig around in the code and it seems like my $artefact->get('allowcomments') is set to 0, which indicates a setting somewhere that I should be able to change but I can't find where.

The artefact I'm trying it on (mainly) is a standard text box, but I have now added in all of the other file types (as per the bottom section of here) and they still don't show up either  (I'm guessing if I turned debugging back on I'll get the same 'allowedcomments' => 0).

Can anyone point me where I need to set this? It works for pages fine, just within artefacts it doesn't.

Oh, and I'm using 1.6.

Thanks

11 June 2013, 1:10

Hi Wullie,

I may be wrong but I think that before 1.7 only a few artefacts can be commented. An still with 1.7 the text boxes can't have feedback.

Regards,

-dajan

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

11 June 2013, 8:06

Hi Wullie,

Actually, you can put comments on all files and notes. There are a few things you might want to check:

1. Check that comments are allowed on file artefacts. That is in the plugin adminstration (see http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.6/administration/extensions.html#artefact-type-file at the bottom of the screenshot under "Comments")
  2. Notes can have comments, but we don't yet have a default setting for them. Authors will need to go to Content -> Notes and enable comments there when they edit a note (see http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.6/content/notes.html#edit-your-notes ). I know it's a bit clumpsy right now. You could probably though change your code to allow comments per default.
  3. However, these are only default settings. Users can always disable comments directly on their artefacts, including file artefacts.

Cheers

Kristina

Wullie's profile picture

11 June 2013, 20:25

Thanks Kristina,

That helps a bit. I'd already done the first bit, but never thought of your second point (I knew it before, just didn't think of it).

If I wanted to make a new artefact blocktype (which uses the image selector and text notes as a base), where is the best place to set allowcomments to 1 (as default)?

I'm guessing as the new artefact is pushed to the database, but not sure where this occurs.

Any advice?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 June 2013, 21:04

Hello Wullie,

I'm afraid I'm not the best person to ask the technical question. As for the UI, I'd suggest to put a checkbox directly in the pop-up of the block. The problem with the current notes implementation is that you can only set the "Allow comments" when you are under Content -> Notes, but you cannot set this when you are on the actual block. For images however, you can do so when you edit them - both under Content -> Files and in the block pop-up.

Cheers

Kristina

Aaron Wells's profile picture

20 June 2013, 19:03

Hi Wullie,

I don't know if you still need the answer to this question, but the way the ArtefactTypeBlogPost artefact does it, is to set $this->allowcomments = 1 in the constructor for new blog posts (i.e., ones where there's no ID, because it hasn't been inserted into the database yet). See the __construct() function for ArtefactTypeBlogPost in artefact/blog/lib.php

Cheers,
Aaron

6 results