Forums | Mahara Community
Mahara integration with Canvas
27 May 2013, 9:10 AM
I am trying to use the LTI to integrate Mahara with our instance of Canvas. The cryptic instructions say I should download a plugin and copy a directory. Where am I suppose to copy the directory? Any help on getting this installed would be helpful
27 May 2013, 12:32 PM
I'm not familiar with a Mahara LTI plugin. Is it a third-party plugin?
Basically, to install a plugin of any sort, this is the process:
- Download the plugin, which will generally come as a ZIP file
- Unzip the file. You'll now have a directory called something like the name of the plugin. There should be a lib.php file in it, among other things
- Copy that directory into the appropriate directory of Mahara for whichever plugin type it is. Mahara is very pluggable and has quite a few different plugin types: artefact, auth, blocktype, grouptype, interaction, local, notification, search, and theme are the main ones. A plugin to integrate Canvas with Mahara through LTI sounds most likely to be "auth" or "artefact". If you look in the plugin's lib.php file, you should see classnames and/or function names with "auth" or "artefact" in them, which will tell you which one it is.
- Once you've copied the plugin's directory into your Mahara site, log in as an admin and on the admin home page you should see a "upgrade plugin" dialogue.
- Then go to the Extensions page and see if there's a config link for the newly installed plugin. (Not all plugins have this)
09 June 2013, 5:57 PM
Mahara is not yet LTI-ready from the core code. We have some specs to create the Mahara assignment submission plugin for Moodle using LTI, but it's not yet been implemented. The idea is (see https://wiki.mahara.org/index.php/Developer_Area/Specifications_in_Development/Moodle_LTI_integration ): "In Mahara, the auth / webservice plugin will provide the basis for the OAuth authentication layer and the frame work for the web services calls made from Moodle to Mahara. The authentication settings will have an option to allow the mapping of the usernames that shall be used to identify against the LTI component."
So depending on your plugin and whether it allows for LTI integration, you might also need the web services plugin to deal with the authentication.
05 June 2014, 2:40 PM
Just to let you know that the University of Canberra has just signed off on funding Catalyst IT to swap MNET with LTI in the Moodle Assignment plugin and consequently add LTI support to Mahara (the plugin is the one created by Ruslan Kabalin and supported by Catalyst IT).
Catalyst IT will begin work next week.
14 November 2014, 12:14 AM
Please help, i need to integrate Mahara with Sakai using the LTI, currently Mahara is installed on a separate Linux Server, so i need to know if the work is now being done, there LTI integration with Sakai
14 November 2014, 10:33 AM
We can assist you with that. Please see my email from October. :-)
14 November 2014, 12:34 AM
There's some information here which might help.
I'd be interested to know if it works :)
12 September 2016, 8:33 AM
Did you get the LTI plugin to work with Canvas in the end?