Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Profile image placeholders show ? question mark. Occurs elsewhere as well.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 May 2013, 3:12

Hi there,

New Mahara installation made and finding that I cannot change the avatar for the person's profile (Profile.JPG) When I do I just get a blue question mark.

I seem to able to upload and view these images elsewhere on Mahara (so its not a JPEG issue.)

I have included the files full URL for anyone who can read it.

Also spotted this in the Create Page section:

Thanks,
Steve

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 May 2013, 9:57

Hi Steve,

I'm just putting out some questions to you that might help us troubleshoot your problem.

Are you using Mahara 1.7? Do you have permissions set correctly on the server for the directories that Mahara needs to access? It seems like that your images directory cannot be read correctly.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

16 May 2013, 19:19

Thanks for the reply Kristina.

Mahara version: 1.7.0

Permissions as follows:

maharadata - 777 (full write)

images folder within maharadata - was 700 but changed to 777 and made no difference

Do uploaded files end up on a seperate folder to the other images as these are the ones that are not showing up?

mahara folder is 755

Does this help with the trouble shooting?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 May 2013, 21:13

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info. I'll see to get a hold of a developer for the answer.

Cheers

Kristina

04 June 2013, 1:35

Hello Stephen,

What is the user which has the right on this folder? On Ubuntu it should be www-data:www-data, on other Os it is sometimes www:www.

I have noticed that sometimes, when root is the user accessing the maharadatafolder, it doesn't work well.

Hope we find a solution quickly to your problem before your class starts. I know how frustrating and stressful it is when you are so close and have problems to deal with.

Regards

-dajan

Account deleted

04 June 2013, 9:54

Hi Jan,

Yes, you're right! I just logged in as a standard user and all the images are showing up fine. That's so odd! Really appreciate your reply. Thank you.

Steve

Aaron Wells's profile picture

21 May 2013, 16:51

Hm, quite strange. When I try to retrieve the file at the URL http://schoolmusictechnology.com/mahara/thumb.php?type=profileiconbyid&maxsize=100&id=34 , I get a "200 OK" response from your web server, but the response has 0 bytes of content.

The strange thing is that if thumb.php can't access the person's image, it will fall back to accessing the default "no profile" image from the theme. And I can see that image works perfectly well on your server: http://schoolmusictechnology.com/mahara/theme/raw/static/images/no_userphoto.png . The only way I was able to replicate this "0 bytes" behavior was by going into my dataroot directory and replacing the profile icons I've uploaded with empty files.

Is this a big Mahara installation? Probably the handiest thing to do at this point would be to look in the artefact/file/profileicons/resized directory of your Mahara's dataroot and see whether the files are actually present there in correct form. But, that could be a little tricky if you have a lot of files in your installation already, because Mahara renames them into meaningless hash strings, so if you've got lots of files it may not be fruitful to just poke around in there. I think you can get the hash string from the database if need be, though.

Cheers,
Aaron

Account deleted

28 May 2013, 0:46

Thanks for the reply Aaron. 

No, this is a brand new small install so no problem having a look around the folder as suggested. I found the images and while they are marked as X-GENERIC when I click on them they open just fine.

Does this help, can I offer any further info?

Thanks, Steve

Account deleted

30 May 2013, 21:51

Hi Aaron,

Do you want me to report the entries in my DB? Which DB feild am I looking in. I have a course starting in two weeks on this server and I am anxious to have people's profiles up and running.

Would a reinstall be in order? I still haven't uploaded the users CSV yet.

Thanks,
Steve

Aaron Wells's profile picture

31 May 2013, 10:18

Hi Stephen,

Sorry I didn't respond. I couldn't think of any particularly helpful suggestions. I was hoping someone else in the community might have an idea. Wink

If there's no data in the site yet, then a reinstall would be a good idea. Did you do that already? I notice that now when I go to http://schoolmusictechnology.com/mahara/thumb.php?type=profileiconbyid&maxsize=100&id=34 I actually do see the image successfully. At least, it successfully falls back to the default "no profile icon" picture instead of the 0-byte response I was getting before.

Cheers,
Aaron

10 results