Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
OK - really weird Mahhoodle issue

Julian Ridden's profile picture

26 March 2013, 12:41

This makes no sense to me. I want to run it past the community in case you guys can think of something I am missing.

I have a mahoodle setup for a client. All good..all working.

Client has logged in to Mahara via moodle. I have escalted him to a Mahara admin.

Now, here is the weird part. He gets demoted back to a regular user on a regular basis.

Important Points

• Mahara cron is not running. No automation is occuring in the back end
  • There are no other users on Mahara yet tha could demote him
  • My admin account is not being demoted. Only his.
  • This has ocured several times now.

What am I missing? How could this be occuring? What could I do to problem solve this?

Julian

Aaron Wells's profile picture

26 March 2013, 13:45

Do you have the "Update user info on login" activated on the Mahara side? Maybe Moodle is sending across a field that overwrites the usr.admin column.

Cheers,
Aaron

26 March 2013, 21:59

Hello,

No Aaron, no information about the status of a user is sent from Moodle. The quality of a user (simple user, instittuion admin or site admin) is given by an admin in Mahara only.

-dajan

Aaron Wells's profile picture

27 March 2013, 11:04

My thought was, from looking at the code, a user's status as staff or admin in Mahara is stored in the "usr.staff" and "usr.admin" columns. And the way the "Update user info on login" function works, is it retrieves a series of specified user fields from Moodle and for each of them it overwrites the matching column in the Mahara "usr" table. So if Moodle were sending across "staff" or "admin" for some reason in its list of included fields, it would revert the user each time they logged in.

Of course, as far as I can tell, the available columns on the Moodle side are normally limited to those in the "mdl_user" table, which doesn't include a "staff" or "admin" column (because Moodle roles are quite a bit different from Mahara roles). But maybe there's a customization on the Moodle side?

Just thinking out loud as well. :)

Cheers,
Aaron

26 March 2013, 22:02

Hi Julian,

Is there a change that cron has to make some routines that "fix" a user's status? And because you cron is not running, Mahara suddenly change your promoted user back to a normal user?

I try to think out loud.

Cheers,

-dajan

5 results