Forums | Mahara User Group (MUG)

Feature proposals and changes to existing features /
GUI changes at the University of the Arts

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 September 2012, 0:21

Hello,

I thought to point you to Mike Kelly's post https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=4870 where he links to his blog entry http://mikekelly.myblog.arts.ac.uk/2012/09/14/updates-to-workflow explaining some of the GUI changes and also plugin additions he's made for the University of the Arts.

What do you think? Would you like to see some of these features in core Mahara?

Cheers

Kristina

Keith Landa's profile picture

16 September 2012, 6:25

I would vote for bringing the User Interface Updates items into core.  I agree the multiple layers of horizontal menus are confusing.  By the time they're all displayed, it's not clear to new users that there's a blank page underneath to work on.

Moving Display Page off to the right side as a button is a nice way to distinguish it from the actual working tabs.  It would be nice if it would display the page in a new window, so that your window with your working tabs is still there.

Having the Share Page tab actually be a tab showing share options for the page being worked on is a very good enhancement.

The Add Content interface represents a more radical departure, but has several good features.  The categories of General, Media, External, Journals and Personal Information will be clear to users.  The way it's packaged as a panel of tools, and especially the collapsable format, means more screen real estate is available for the page being edited than with the current, fixed horizontal layout of the Add Content tools.

The Pointer Boxes would be 'nice to have' features, but not critical 'need to have'.

I really like the Browse Content and Browse Profile options, as I find Mahara currently does not make content very easily discoverable.  It may be sufficient though to have them maintained as available plug-ins (?).  Same with Skillshare.  

keith

2 results