Forums | Mahara Community

Mobile Mahara /
Mahara & iPads

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 March 2013, 11:09

Hello Richard,

Yes, please file a bug for not being able to delete a block when device detection is turned off. That should be possible then because the site should then behave as if you were viewing it on a laptop or desktop computer.

As for a timeline for iOS and Mahara: We do not have a specific timeline for individual fixes. Depending on the priority and severity of bugs, they are implemented quickly or pushed back. Thus, for example, if multiple people support your bug, it will be pushed higher in the priority list and gets attention faster if we don't already classify as high priority from the start.

I'm afraid I can't give you any information on PortfolioUp as that is created by a different developer team.

It would help us very much to see what does and what doesn't work on an iPad for regular users of it. For starters, we could then complete the table at http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.6/misc/mobile.html#new-in-mahara-1-6-mobile-browsing and find other issues that might be addressed at the same time as the deleting one.

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 March 2013, 12:53

Hi again Kristina

We have used PortfolioUp to upload files successfully from the photo app in iPad but Mahara does not recognise the file as a movie.  I did enable QuickTime in the file\internalmedia section of the admin but still won't go into the embed block - not listed as a file you can embed.

if you click it in the files area it does play in the browser.

Does Mahara support .mov, it is not explicitly listed?

Thanks 

Richard

25 March 2013, 23:27

Hello Richard,

Quicktime files are .mov files. When I upload a mov file from the computer and had previously allowed the embedding of Quicktime files, the file format is recognized. There are two possibilities as far as I see:

1. mov files from the iPad have the mime type not set correctly to be recognized by Mahara as mov files. Or Mahara can't handle file type information.
  2. The iPad doesn't send real mov files. When I save a file in Quicktime for the iPad, it actually saves it as m4v and not mov file. But I don't have an iPad to verify what the native format is that is produced on the iPad.

Could you maybe please send me a test file from your iPad via mail?

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

26 March 2013, 13:05

Hi Kristina

I think it's time someone at Mahara Org bought you an iPad ;)

Here is something odd - I embedded the file to a page I created in my profile on this site and the video plays as expected.  I will share the page with you so you can see the file if you want to.

However, when i try the same thing on our site, the file does not appear in the list of files which can be embedded.

And yet, files I uploaded previously with PortfolioUp do play.  I'm really not sure what's going on but it seems it might be us. 

Cheers

Richard

In this image the highlighted ones are the ones not recognised as video files.  perhaps some setting somewhere that I have missed or set incorrectly.

different video files from PortfolioUp

Aaron Wells's profile picture

26 March 2013, 14:44

You could check your settings for the "file/internalmedia" block type (under the "Plugin administration" page). Maybe some of the file types got unticked?

Cheers,
Aaron

01 April 2013, 18:34

Hello Richard,

Laughing Donations are welcome. We do have an iPad in the office, but I'm afraid I forget that frequently as I'm not on the same floor. I'll try to remember next week and see if I can download PortfolioUp.

You write that files previously uploaded with PortfolioUp worked. Was that with the same version of PortfolioUp? I guess it was on your old Mahara install, right?

The file you gave me access to, is that the file you uploaded via PortfolioUp? I do see it embedded and it does play.

Cheers

Kristina

07 April 2013, 17:38

Hello Richard,

One of our testers tested this for me and indeed, uploaded videos do not have an extension coming along. Neither do photos for that matter, but they are recognized.

Interestingly, when you upload a mov file from the iPad without going through PortfolioUp, our tester could embed that successfully into a page. Thus, it's not the iPad file - Mahara connection, but rather PortfolioUp I suspect.

Since the code of PortfolioUp is not open source, the PortfolioUp developers would need to check it out and see if they can make adjustments. But maybe there can already be made adjustments in Mahara so that it does recognize the video file if appropriate information about the file is passed along. A developer would need to look into that.

I created a bug at https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1165657

Cheers

Kristina

Helga  Dorner's profile picture

09 November 2013, 5:38

Hi Everyone,

my question may seem out-of-context, but as I have not used mahara with any mobile device and we are only now considering using mahara with tablets and ipads at our university with our students I would need your advice. Are there any applications avaliable for tablets/ipads and if yes, which are the ones that you recommend? 

Thanks, Helga

11 November 2013, 8:43

Hello Helga,

There are two apps available: MaharaDroid for Android and PortfolioUp for iOS. Please see http://manual.mahara.org/en/1.8/misc/mobile.html for more information.

You can use Mahara also natively without an app on a mobile device and browse the site / upload content just in your browser.

Cheers

Kristina

Helga  Dorner's profile picture

15 November 2013, 4:09

Hello Kristina, thank you so much for your quick response. Will look at the two apps. Cheers, Helga

30 results