14 February 2013, 16:49

Hi Allison,

we are having exactly same issue as you have got,

there is an free app called PortfolioUp that I couldn't get it work,

I will wait for new release from mahara

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 March 2012, 14:23

Hello Richard,

Earlier there was the information that the page editor of selecting blocks and then clicking on a box to place them on a page doesn't work in iOS 5 anymore. Are you using an older version of iOS then?

What are the issues that you do encounter?

Cheers

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

29 April 2012, 18:40

Hi Kristina

Forgot to subscribe to this thread somehow, sorry, a little late.

The main issue is that the html editor does not work so you just get a plain text box.  A secondary issue is that there are no scroll bars and no way to expand the editor window.

(I tried to upload a screenshot here but it wouldn't work).

The document I supplied gives some hints on working with the iPad and works for iOS version 5.  I haven't tried it on the iPhone or iPod Touch but I don't imagine it would be a great user experience.  

Possibly I could expand that document to explain how to reference an uploaded image within a text box and any other features iPad users "must have" - paragraph alignment, tables - let me know.

I also haven't upgraded to Mahara 1.5 yet but will add that to our test install, probably this week.

Cheers

Richard

Dirk Meyer's profile picture

29 April 2012, 20:36

Hi Richard,

I never tried uploading of files but placing blocks and writing text into blocks worked for me on 1.5 Curious to see the more detailed write up you are planning.

Cheers

Julian Ridden's profile picture

21 March 2012, 18:09

It is worth noting that the only way to upload files is with an app adly.

Mobile Safari does not facilitate access to the local filesystem.

Moodle has a web version and an app fr this very reason The mobile web version will reformat moodle for te mobile device and display it well, but cant allow file transfer.

The mobile app (i'll talk the official one to make it easier for now) facilitates file transfer of audio or video recorded on the local hardware and still uses the web version to display.

Android of course has the same issues. All we need is someone with skills or funding to convert MaharaDroid to iOS :)

Julian

Account deleted

31 August 2012, 11:56

Improving accessiblity to Mahara through iOS devices should be a priority for two reasons:

1) In academic settings iOS is increasingly common (especially as the iPad has been embraced by educators).

2) Evidence has to be easy to get into a portfolio for it to be even remotely useful.  For learners on the go, finding a computer to log into is a barrier to getting artifacts into the portfolio.  The smartphone and tablet are key to easily getting artifacts into the portfolio.

Please make this a priority!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

01 September 2012, 20:45

Hello Dylan,

Thanks for your reasoning for improving mobile access for Mahara. Currently, we are working on a responsive design for Mahara that should come out with 1.6 in October. I assume that you are an iPad owner. Soon (possibly next week), we'll have the first release candidate available for testing the upcoming 1.6 and it would be fantastic if you participated in the testing of it on your iPad to see how it performs there. There is no separate app to install, but it is changes to the theme that adjust to the width of your device and thus also sometimes you won't have the entire range of functions available if they aren't possible to be performed or if they do not make sense to have on a mobile device, e.g. administering a Mahara site on a mobile phone. We will update http://master.dev.mahara.org with the Release Candidate so that you have an install ready for testing.

Cheers

Kristina

Account deleted

14 February 2013, 16:54

Hi Kristina,

Just wondering if this issue has been solved?

Cheers

Siamak

Account deleted

14 February 2013, 19:31

Hi Siamak

You can use Mahara with the iPad - although not to upload files.  

PortfolioUp still seems to work OK in 1.6.  This can be used to upload photos and videos either "live" or stored in the photo library.

If you want to use the rich text editor you need to switch off the mobile device detection under user settings.

Cheers

Richard

Account deleted

25 February 2013, 13:21

Further issue noted with ipad and Mahara 1.6:

You cannot delete blocks with device detection on or off.  Should I file a bug report?

What is the status of work on iOS and Mahara?  Can we expect fixes in the near future?

I would hate to see us change to another system but we might have to if there is no timeline for these issues to be resolved.

Cheers

Richard