Forums | Mahara Community

Comments on feature proposals /
How isolated / flexible will Isolated Institutions be?

30 June 2011, 2:55

Paul, This is a very good news. Keep us posted about this. I really this feature will foster dessimination of Mahara in primary and secondary schools. Thanks again for this and keep us posted about it -dajan
Craig Eves's profile picture

05 July 2011, 19:56

Thanks Paul

Thats great news, and good to know that the MOE is supporting myportfoio and this is also benefitting the mahara community.

Craig

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

14 August 2012, 1:34

Hey Paul,

Fantastic news that this looks like being funded, but do we have an ETA on the version for release yet? Assuming 1.5 didn't make it, unless its there and not listed in the release notes.

Any update appreciated,

Mark.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 August 2012, 4:20

Hello Mark,

Sorry to disappoint you, but this did not get funded evenutally as Paul had noted further down in this thread last October.

I did hear of interest from some German school users. So maybe it gets picked up again at some point.

Cheers

Kristina

Ruslan Kabalin's profile picture

29 June 2011, 11:10

Hello Tim, yeah as Dajan pointed out, there are some plans to have Isolated Institutions integreated in Mahara 1.5. It was intended to have this massive change added to 1.4 but it appeared to be not of the highest priority and really neither LUNS nor Catalyst had time integrate it.

We have publically available modified Mahara 1.2 with this feature in case you would like to play with it: https://git.luns.net.uk/?p=mahara.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/luns_walled_garden_public

In fact, it is more correct to say that it was LUNS Ltd. who implmented for one of the clients, as it is not my personal project obviously.

19 July 2011, 4:25

Hi Ruslan,

Could this now actually be done with the help of the user tags that are implemented in 1.5 for moving students from one institution to another? If so, there should be the possibility to add a user tag when a user is created / during CSV upload or by bulk if an institution uses SSO.

What do you think?

Cheers

Kristina

19 July 2011, 6:45

Absolutely, we can use user tags (assuming that user can't change it) to differentiate the students within the same institutions, thus applying isolation to the particular tag only. Yep, that will work, and actually it is a very good idea ;) as the roles stuff we were thinking about is a massive change we can't implement that quickly.

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

19 July 2011, 13:03

Kristina. this sounds like a good approach. Lets give a little thought to how we make it easy for the institution admin to set/reset tags. The nice thing about this approach is that a school can have some students inside the wall (with access only to users in their institution and other institutions where a reciprocal trust relationship exists). I like it.

Ruslan, thanks for your support with this. I am sure we can find a way for your excellent work to both get in to core in a manner/form that meets your needs and in a way that works for NZ learners (in MyPortfolio).

Paul.

19 July 2011, 15:57

Hello Paul and Ruslan,

Great. Smile At the moment, no user can update his user tags as they do not appear anywhere. In the future they could however be used for recommendation purposes. For the moving from one institution to another feature, the implementation is the following: The last institution is represented by two tags: the institution ID name and the real name of the institution. However, they do not show on the account page because they could be removeed accidentally. Furthermore, they are quite long and thus would be prone to errors.

The isolation tag could be handled in a similar fashion. However, there should be a screen where an institution admin can quickly see who is exempted.

Cheers

Kristina

20 July 2011, 3:06

What I am not completely sure is about trust relationships maintaining for the tags. While it is stightforward for the whole institution, for the tags the trust stuff should either be ommited or there should be a way of setting one between "tags" in different institutions and the whole institutions as well.