Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Registration fails

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

12 September 2010, 13:51

Hi Nigel,

I just upgraded to 1.3 and all went fine. I am getting the same errror described here (ERROR - something bad happened after headers have been sent. Check the error log for more information.).

I got it during new registration, when processing the contact form, and even when I log out using one of the existing accounts. The smtp is valid, the email address is valid as well (tested fully). One new piece of information is that , when I get the error, by refreshing the page, the email goes out and the account gets created. The same thing happens,  When the user clicks on the link received in the email to activate the  account, he/she gets the same error, but once again, refreshing the page activates the account.  Your help is greately appreciated. What are we missing?? 

Thank you much,

Victor

Account deleted

12 September 2010, 18:19

Never mind Nigel. I found the culprit. I was using a clean install of 1.3 and a translation package for 1.2 Removed the translation files and problem went away.  Now is time for me to help out with the translation files.

Thank you much.

Victor

Account deleted

12 September 2010, 20:14

Hi Victor,

There should be no problem using a 1.2 language pack with Mahara 1.3.  The worst thing that should happen is that some of the strings are not translated.

By the way, I just tried installing the 1.2 Spanish language pack and registration worked fine, but I noticed that the language selector was missing for logged out users.

This is a new bug in one of the 1.3 header templates (topright.tpl).

Are you using a custom theme?  If you are, it's possible something in one of the templates is causing that problem.

R.

Raffy CPAF's profile picture

22 November 2010, 19:58

EDIT: Am still investigating what cron has to do with emails, so please disregard this post for now...

Mahara 1.3.2 installed in a shared server (Bluehost) cannot send emails from Contact nor from self-registration. What difference I know about my server is that Pear's Mail.php does not exist (in the expected location anyway). Also, my webmail setup tells me that the relevant SMTP port is 26.

However, PHP's mail () function works as I have tested it successfully. I have also seen a successful email sent through the admin- add user page.

I already have a noreply email account setup, so that rules out the invalid-account error.

As the default mail does not work, I tried to enter the correct info for SMTP in config.php (see example below) but still no mail comes out.

// mail handling
// if you want mahara to use smtp servers to send mail, enter one or more here
// blank means mahara will use the default PHP method.
$cfg->smtphosts = 'mail.myserver.com';
// If you have specified an smtp server above, and the server requires authentication,
// enter them here
$cfg->smtpuser = '[email protected]';
$cfg->smtppass = 'mypassword';

The config-defaults.php contains the following sendemail setting - I guess it is OK to leave it false?

// You can use sendallemailto to have all e-mails from this instance of Mahara
// sent to one particular address instead of where they're aimed for. Leave
// sendemail = true if you want to use this setting.
$cfg->sendemail = false;
// $cfg->sendallemailto = '[email protected]';

Miguel has suggested above that mail configuration be included in the install dialogue. I second the idea, and perhaps there could be a simple test implemented to identify which mail technique works in the server.

In this regard, the PHP mail test that I used successfully is:

$to = $_GET['ad']; // email address supplied as [email protected] in the URL
$subject = 'Test';
$message = "This is a test of PHP mail!";

$headers = 'From: Me<[email protected]>' . "\r\n";

if (mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers)) echo "Success mailing to ".$to;
   else echo "Sorry, there is error.";

--------------------

Note: My Mahara installation is at cpafhome.com (I have registered this but not sure if it reached mahara.org).

Account deleted

10 December 2010, 2:55

Just to say that this thread helped me a lot! Thank you allI! I hope soon to contribute!

Account deleted

07 June 2011, 4:32

Hello,

1 problem : I have configured cron job in cpanes in bluehost hosting, but i receive this email each minute:

It's crazy, ¿Anibody knows how can I configure it without have these mails?

Thanks..

2 problem: I have already configured the SMTP sever in config.php (paste de code at the end of the file:

$cfg->smtphosts = 'smtp.site.com';
// If you have specified an smtp server above, and the server requires authentication,
// enter them here
$cfg->smtpuser = 'user';
$cfg->smtppass = 'pass'

It doesn't work when I try to register as a new member.

Thank you very much in advance

Account deleted

07 June 2011, 5:13

1 problem : I have configured cron job in cpanes in bluehost hosting, but i receive this email each minute:

It's crazy, ¿Anibody knows how can I configure it without have these mails?

Thanks..

Solution to problem 1:

I follow te instructions in the cron job panel of Bluehost and I add  >/dev/null 2>&1 at the end of the comand.

curl http://mayhostname.com/maharadir/lib/cron.php >/dev/null 2>&1

Account deleted

10 June 2011, 0:48

No possibility to solve the problem whith the email configuratión

I think is a imposible solution, I thinck Mahara doesn't work in  Bluehost, I think I have to use a diferent solution, ...

I change cron, smtp, ... I real all the post i find in intertet but... no :(

A post by Mahara Newsletter was deleted

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

10 June 2011, 20:07

Hello Juan,

Mahara does not always work in a shared hosting environment. A few people got it to work, usually with the help of the hosting provider's tech team.

Cheers

Kristina

30 results