Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Disabling TinyMCE for Users

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

23 August 2009, 3:44

Hi Nigel,

is there any way to disable the TinyMCE editor as admin so that users can only use plain text (fields) for all sections i.e. "Profile", "My Portfolio", "Groups" ...?

BR, Peer

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 August 2009, 2:03

Hello Peer,

Maybe a stupid question, but I am wondering why you don't want your learners to style their texts. Is it that they could bring in code that could be harmful? Do you want to automatically export the texts and the formatting would be a hinderance?

Kind regards
Kristina

Account deleted

24 August 2009, 4:08

I can understand wanting to diable the wysiwyg editor in several places. For one, it's a way to avoid the "MySpace effect", where people use all sorts of colors, font sizes, and images everywhere and in ways where they look horrible.  Some admins way want to keep a tighter reign on the presentation of data and maintain consistency throughout the user profiles, forums, etc.
Account deleted

24 August 2009, 8:50

Hi Kristina,
hi Stephen,

the reason for our intention to disable the TinyMCE is exactly how Stephen described it perfectly.

BR, Peer 

25 August 2009, 1:43

Hello Stephen and Peer,

Thank you for your explanation, Stephen. MySpace pages can look very noisy in contrast to the "cleaner" Facebook profiles. However, I understand a portfolio in a way where portfolio owners can express themselves, be creative, and decide what and how they want to show their stuff. Sometimes, a little bold and italics is even necessary (or does disabling of the WYSIWYG editor mean you would still have BBCode?). Of course, they are always limited by the given parameters of the portfolio system they use, but shouldn't they have as much choice as possible within?

I agree with you that it can make sense to have fewer layout options in discussion forums if the people on the system would go crazy there. 

What if instead of deciding on turning on / off the editor globally, one could turn it on / off according to specific parts of Mahara, i.e. Profile, Portfolio (text boxes, blogs...), Feedback, Forums?

Kristina

Account deleted

25 August 2009, 5:03

Hi Kristina,

good idea.

Main issue is that the admin is able to allow or disallow the usage of the TinyMCE and following your suggestion with additional sub-options for dedicated platform sections.

I have already filed a feature request. Maybe you could file a new one regarding same feeature however with more options.

BR, Peer 

Account deleted

25 August 2009, 17:25

We may as well just throw a note on the same feature request for it Smile
Account deleted

26 August 2009, 7:24

Hi Nigel,

added this note to the feature request.

"Adding additional sub-options for specific parts of Mahara, i.e. Profile, Portfolio (text boxes, blogs...), Feedback, Forums in order to allow/disallow the usage of TinyMCE more precisely."

BR, Peer 

28 August 2009, 2:03

Hello Peer,

Thanks for adding the note.

Kristina

Account deleted

24 August 2009, 23:19

Hi - nope, but it seems reasonable to have a setting for it. Perhaps file a feature request?
11 results