Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Mahara UI mockups - Notifications

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 August 2009, 1:51

Wow. nice looking mockups, Elliot.

As Penny, I prefer your second version. The button "New Message" is easier to see than in the first one. I also like the easy access to the different notification types. A search for a user would be a nice add-on.

Kristina

anonymous profile picture
Account deleted

20 August 2009, 5:35

One thing right off the bat you'll have to keep in mind: Mahara doesn't keep track of who the message is from, other than putting their name in the subject and user id in the url field.  So, you'll need to parse the url to get the sender's id.

I've actually added a "from" field in the database and have it keep the sender's user id in there. I've also added two fields in the database for deleting messages, one keeps track if the recipient deleted the message and the other keeps track of whether or not the sender deleted it. That way users can view their sent messages.If both fields are set to 1 (deleted), then the messages will get deleted during a cron job.  This also allows for a deleted messages folder, where people can undelete messages as long as the cron hasn't deleted the messages yet. 

I just started working on this, so I haven't done the actual coding for the individual folders (inbox, sent messages, deleted messages), but it's all pretty simple.

Account deleted

22 August 2009, 10:58

You may want to add a "Mark as unread" button as well.  Adding the functionality is extremely easy. You simply copy the "Mark as read" code and make a few very, very minor modifications.
Craig Eves's profile picture

17 September 2009, 20:40

Hi Elliot

Thanks for the graphic it makes it easy to see.

I am not quite so sure that Notifications needs a button on the  main menu - the reason for this is.

There is a link on the home page to any unread messages already - when this is clicked you go to notifications. This is good as it only shows when there are messages rather than showing the menu all the time. 

Is it possible to have some of the text of the message showing either by hovering over the message or the first couple of lines showing - this would make it easier to decide whether to read themessage delete it etc.

Having a deleted message box is a good idea too in case a message is accidentally highlighted for deletion and deleted permanently.

Is there a  connection between activity preferences and notifications eg if you are receiving emails for activity preferences are notifications also required in Mahara as well.

Should there be a reply button on the screen  so a message can be responded to easily - This may change depending on whether it is a forum post, user, feedback.

Hope this helps

Account deleted

05 November 2010, 18:03

I'm wondering if any progress has been made on this. I am particularly interested in the "sent messages" feature and possibly mass mailing to groups of members.

15 results