Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Submissions

Yvonne Moore's profile picture

08 June 2024, 0:55

Hi 

I've come across an issue as we prepare to upgrade to 23.04.  We have the Moodle submission plugin so that students can submit their portfolios for assessment in Moodle. However, if a student is also in a group in Mahara, the submission drop-down option is presenting Moodle courses as 'groups'.  This means a student can accidentally submit to a Moodle course - with the portfolio (I presume) going nowhere.  The portfolio then becomes locked for editing, with no way of unlocking it.

Can anyone help explain why Moodle courses are appearing in that drop-down?  And how do we remove them as an option?

I can also see in the manual that the submissions page is also only supposed to show the Mahara group submissions and not submissions made to the LMS - but our submission page shows both.

https://manual.mahara.org/en/23.04/portfolio/submissions.html 

"This screen only displays submissions to groups, but not submissions that were made to a learning management system."

Help!

Best wishes

Yvonne

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 June 2024, 9:14

Hi Yvonne,

LTI utilises the group submission functionality in the background to perform the submission tasks. I know that the Moodle assignment showed up in the list of submissions, but I believe that was only the case when the student was also in a Mahara group that allowed submissions.

I just tested it in Mahara 24.04 and couldn't replicate it. Even when I was in a submission group, I only saw that, but not the Moodle assignment.

I never saw the submissions management screen of a group for a Moodle assignment. Can you please double check that you didn't click on a Mahara group?

Thank you

Kristina

Yvonne Moore's profile picture

15 June 2024, 0:12

Hi Kristina

The Moodle Assignments are definitely showing up in the page's drop-down for submitting 'this collection for assessment'. And it allowed me to select one of the Moodle Assignments to submit.  If we can't remove these from the list we will need to return an error message if someone chooses the Moodle Assignment option by mistake.

Here's a screenshot from my testing environment (there are a lot of Moodle Assignment tests!).

Best wishes

Yvonne

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

18 June 2024, 11:07

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for the screenshot. So the last one is a legitimate Mahara group that allows submissions. Do students see the drop-down menu when they are not members of a group that allows submissions? Do you only allow submissions through Moodle or can submissions be made in Mahara groups? And lastly, are you on the latest Mahara?

If you don't want students to see that section if they can submit via Moodle and a Mahara group, you could hide it with a code change. They would still be able to submit a portfolio via the group homepage. You'd only need to make sure that educators can still enter their results, which happens in the same area but looks slightly different from what students see (as they can't select a grade or result). So that would be a code change, potentially only in a template. Your technical team could do that.

Cheers

Kristina

4 results