Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Moodle/Mahara Integration MNET broken after upgrading Ubuntu to 22.04

Frank Aldridge's profile picture

21 August 2023, 13:02

Hi,

We upgraded our Ubuntu version from 18.04 to 22.04 and we are now getting the following error when trying to connect to Mahara from Moodle:

Unable to sign in via external authentication (SSO)

We were unable to authenticate you at this time. Possible reasons might be:

* Your SSO session might have expired. Go back to the other application and click the link to sign into Mahara again.
* You may not be allowed to SSO to Mahara. Please check with your administrator if you think you should be allowed to.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

21 August 2023, 13:40

Sorry forgot to mention

Moodle 4.0.5+

Mahara 22.10.0

PHP 7.4

MySQL 5.7

Robert Lyon's profile picture

21 August 2023, 14:51

Hi Frank,

Can I get you to check the Mahara webservice log on the Administration -> Web services -> Logs page to see if there is any error showing.

Also, can you check the website's error logs for the Mahara site to see if there is any indication of why this error is occurring.

If you could paste any errors you find here then I could take a look into this further.

Cheers

Robert

21 August 2023, 16:47

Hi Robert,

I will get onto that tomorrow morning 

Thanks

22 August 2023, 9:32

Hi Robert,

There is nothing in the Webservice Logs or the error logs - but I did find the following in the Apache access log

[22/Aug/2023:09:09:53 +1200] "GET /mahara/auth/xmlrpc/land.php?token=###############################b&idp=https://moodle.mydomain.ac.nz&wantsurl= HTTP/1.1" 404 11323 "https://login.microsoftonline.com/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/115.0.0.0 Safari/537.36"

It looks like it is trying to log in using AzureSSO

22 August 2023, 12:27

Getting the following error when manually running the Background Processing for MNET authentication scheduled task:

Background processing for MNET authentication

!!!

Error: database driver problem detected

The site administrator should verify server configuration

PHP has not been properly configured with the MySQLi extension for it to communicate with MySQL. Please check your php.ini file or recompile PHP.

!!!

Robert Lyon's profile picture

23 August 2023, 14:39

Hi Frank,

I assume you can access your site via the web browser - so I'm guessing this error must mean that the CLI version of your PHP is not accessing the PHP mysqli module.

Do you see it listed when listing the php modules from the command line? eg in Ubuntu:

php -m | grep mysql

Cheres

Robert

30 August 2023, 15:18

Hi,

We have updated all the php cli extensions that are required but still having issues.  I have deleted the Moodle key and updated Mahara xml-rpc settings for the Institution and when I Save it it reverts to an old Public Key - both Moodle and Mahara are installed on the same server so it can't be a network issue.

Have checked that we don't have the same issue as with https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/22.04/+bug/1971702 but the lib/peers.php file looks correct.

Is there any way to get better logging?

Alternatively we may try switching to LTI but can't find any up to date documentation for our respective versions of Moodle and Mahara.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated as we have been unable to use Mahara for 2 weeks now.

Thanks

Frank

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

22 September 2023, 9:32

Hi Frank,

When you upgraded your servers and Moodle, did you check the Moodle documentation on MNet? Moodle removed MNet from Moodle core.

I would suggest using LTI instead as that is the protocol that will be used going forward, but it would be good to perform tests on a test environment first to ensure that you can migrate your accounts and that the connection is set up correctly.

Cheers

Kristina

9 results