Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Confusing SAML login form

Howard Miller's profile picture

18 January 2023, 23:45

We've been testing SAML auth, which works fine. What has been a problem is the login form...

Screenshot 2023-01-18 at 10.41.13.png

We've found in tests that users don't know to click the login button (it doesn't help that it doesn't even look much like a button). Can this be improved?

In Moodle, the SAML login is just the default and 'Administrative login' requires a 'secret' URL. This works great. Is there an equivalent that I'm missing?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 January 2023, 7:54

Hi Howard,

Thank you for the feedback. You can style the SAML login button differently if you adjust the CSS. Currently, it uses the primary button class.

We do not hide the 'Admin login' as Moodle does but present it directly because Mahara is multi-tenanted by nature. Thus, some institutions may not use SAML. In this case, 'Administration login' could easily be renamed and allow account holders to log in via the internal or LDAP authentication methods.

Cheers

Kristina

Howard Miller's profile picture

19 January 2023, 20:25

Ok - I take your point completely but I'm going to keep digging :)

We have no interest in the multi-tenancy features. I well know the history of Mahara but I wonder how many other real users do. 

My one and only use for that dropdown is for the "backup" manual admin account which I almost never use. From that point of view, it's a bit disappointing. 

As you say, I'll need to bodge some solution as it's just not going to work as it is.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

24 January 2023, 21:18

Hi Howard,

If you come up with a solution, please do share as others who only have one institution on their site might be interested in the solution. One possibility might be to make it a config value like we have for showing the login form at all or not on the homepage (see here on mahara.org where you have the 'Login' link but not the form prominently displayed).

Cheers

Kristina

4 results