Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Notification reply buttons missing

Jim Harris's profile picture

25 November 2022, 22:16

Hi Robert

Thank you very much for your swift reply

I think you're right, I feel it might be something to do with the setup and config somewhere rather than a bug. I couldn't see anyone else reporting the same issue....Mahara somehow seeing the users as 'deleted' 

The recipients do have 'allow messages from other people'....I did check that one but will look at the isolated institution setting

I'd like to avoid a code change if I can as this can be quite hard to manage/maintain over upgrades etc

If I can't spot anything in config/settings I'll apply your new patch and report back

Thank you again for your fantastic work and support

Jim

26 November 2022, 5:49

Hi Robert

I can confirm isolated institutions isn't set in the config and the user allows anyone to send messages to them

Unfortunately, the additional code change still doesn't populate the recipient list after clicking the 'reply' option

Thank you for trying for me though :-)  

Jim

14 February 2023, 3:52

Hi Robert

Hope all is good. We've just updated the site to 22.10 but still have the issue

We've noticed that in the first patch you pointed me to (which worked :-)) you mention 'When using newer PHP' in the patch notes

Can you clarify what it is meant by that?

We're running PHP 7.4.3 which isn't particularly new (it's no longer supported). Is this a known issue with particular PHP versions?

Anything lower than 7.4 would represent quite a security risk

Jim 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 February 2023, 8:14

Hi Jim,

I'm pretty sure Robert meant PHP 8.1+ as we do our testing on PHP 7.4. Which issue do you still have? That the reply button doesn't show or that the recipient list is not populated? The latter we can't reproduce and thus don't know what a fix might look like. This could be a case of us needing to look at your environment, which is a paid service that we offer as it goes beyond the free support that is possible through the forums.

Thank you

Kristina

14 February 2023, 22:27

Morning Kristina

Thank you for your quick reply, much appreciated :-)

That makes sense, thank you for clarifying

Unfortunately the second patch to fix the recipient list didn't seem to work

I still have some things to check our side, I suspect it must be something to do with our setup!

I'll keep investigating

Many thanks

Jim

17 February 2023, 0:36

Hi Kristina

I've done some further testing on a Mahara test site I have

The site was on 19.10.3 and email functionality was working as expected (a reply button and recipients populated)

I then upgraded to  20.04.0 - as above, the functionality was working as expected

Finally I upgraded to 22.10.0 and now there is no reply button and the recipient list isn't populated

I have another Mahara site running 21.10.1 - on this site the notification functions are working correctly (a reply button and recipients populated)

So, somewhere between 21.x and 22.x the functionality breaks

In your testing are you using a clean install of 22.10.0 or a site that has been upgraded from a previous version?

I suspect things break when a site is updated from an older version to 22.x but perhaps all is ok with a clean/new install of 22.x

I don't think this is down to our environment I'm afraid

Jim

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 March 2023, 16:47

Hi Jim,

I still can't replicate this problem. I tested it on a 22.10 that I've upgraded at least since Mahara 17.10. I do have the reply button and I also see  the list of recipients pre-populated. You can give it a go yourself on the demo site, which is also a site that has been upgraded for several years. I don't see the problem there either.

Cheers

Kristina

09 March 2023, 22:15

Hi Kristina

Thank you very much for looking again for me :-)

It's a strange one!

For now, it looks like it will remain a mystery!

Jim

18 results