Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Mahara submissions

Yvonne Moore's profile picture

24 June 2022, 4:19

Hi

Version 21.10.

We've come across an issue with Mahara submissions and I wonder if it's an issue because the intended workflow isn't clear (and I can't find anything in the manual to help explain it).

Students have been submitting their collections to a Mahara group, so tutors can review and give feedback while the collection is locked for editing. In order to give the collection back to a student (i.e. unlock it), the tutor provides a result and releases it.

Our problem arose when a tutor selected 'pass' instead of our recommended 'revise' result.  The student was unable to submit again, receiving the message "The portfolio or group task has already been evaluated.  Your submission has been automatically released".  They were also unable to 'share' to the group or to the individual tutor, receiving the same warning message.  (Our workaround was to ask the student to copy her collection and submit that to the group).

My question is what effect should the 'result' have on future options for the student?  We want the students to be able to carry on building their portfolio and re-submitting for future feedback (the portfolio is being produced over a number of academic years).  A tutor could argue that the portfolio has 'passed' to this point, and their future work is not really a 'revision'.

If the result 'pass' is chosen, does this mean it can no longer be submitted?  If the 'fail' or 'revise' results are chosen, does this mean the student can re-submit?

I hope this makes some sense, and someone can help clarify.

Thanks

Yvonne

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

27 June 2022, 16:22

Hi Yvonne,

As far as I understand the submissions functionality, when a portfolio is set to 'Pass', it cannot be submitted any more to the same group. That's the current implementation from the University of Bremen, but Alex, please correct me if I'm wrong, and there is a bug somewhere. I also don't know if your scenario is something that Alex might be working on or have a solution already that we haven't seen yet.

Therefore, for the time being I would assume that you'd want to select the 'Revise' option to allow re-submissions to the same group. You could change your code to also allow re-submissions when a portfolio had already been assessed.

We released a fix for the issue of not being able to share a portfolio that was submitted.

Thank you

Kristina

2 results