Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Brightspace Mahara integration - Keyset URL cannot be reached

Scott Hedger's profile picture

23 June 2022, 19:43

Hello

I've been trying to setup the LTI advantage connection on our Mahara test site with our VLE Brightspace test site, following the instructions in section 13.2 of the user manuals:  (Sorry there aren't any direct links to the instructions, as a new user I'm not allowed to post links)

Once I reach the point of registering the tool within Brightspace following the instructions in section 13.5 of the manuals

I get a Keyset URL cannot be reached error

I've contacted the D2L Brightspace support team who replicated the problem but were unable to provide a fix.  They believe there is an access problem to the Keyset URL Mahara has provided me. 

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

27 June 2022, 16:30

Hi Scott,

I haven't encountered this problem before when I wrote the instructions. It's been a few months now though and maybe something changed on the Brightspace side and thus the instructions don't quite work any more? Existing setups still work though. I'm afraid I won't be able to test that this week, but will see if I can do so next week.

In the meantime, can you please check if you have any firewall rules or other restrictions in place that would prevent a communication between the two sites? LTI requires that both sites are publicly available with a SSL certificate. HTACCESS restrictions or similar things on non-production sites can't be used easily.

Thank you

Kristina

P.S. I lifted your first-time forum poster restrictions. :-)

27 June 2022, 23:07

Hi Kristina

Thanks for the response.  After talking to my server team they advised me our test environment is only available via LAN so they're going to move it somewhere more publicly accessible,  Hopefully that will resolve the issue, will let you know.

Thanks

Scott

29 June 2022, 20:45

Hi Kristina

Our Test server has now been moved and I've managed to get the Integration setup.

Only issue I'm running into now is getting the students in the Brightspace classlist to pass over to the group membership of the group that gets created when the LTI link is clicked in a course. 

I'ts been a couple of hours since my first tests and still only me listed as the group Admin.  Both the staff and student users on the Brightspace test server have matching usernames and emails to the corresponding user accounts on the Mahara test server so not sure why it's not recognising them.

Thanks in advance

Scott

05 July 2022, 14:57

Hi Scott,

Great that the integration is looking better. As for the class list: That is synchronised the first time pretty quickly, but a teacher or Brightspace admin needs to click the link or the group is not created in Mahara and the membership can't come across. This is actually a pretty neat feature I find in contrast to using web services to pull all courses across to your Mahara site. That way, you only create the groups that are actually going to be used.

Another cool feature is that a support staff member doesn't have to be added to all the groups when they are coming from Brightspace. They can simply click the link in the Brightspace course, are added to the group as admin (provided the role mapping allows for that) and then on the next cron run, they are removed again because they are not in the classlist.

Once the group was created and the first sync happened, it then only happens once a day, I believe in the early morning hours.

Can you please confirm that you clicked the 'NRPS' link (whatever that might be called for you) and not just a plain link that allows for the login? It does need the extra permissions for NRPS.

Thank you

Kristina

07 July 2022, 0:29

Hi Kristina

The LTI Advantage link has all three available extensions active

Assignment and Grade Services

Deep Linking

Names and Role Provisioning Services

When I add the link to a course and click on it, it creates the group absolutely fine in Mahara, it just doesn't seem to populate any of the users into the group

11 July 2022, 13:11

Hi Scott,

Do you have any thing in the error log either in Mahara or Brightspace?

Thank you

Kristina

7 results