Forums | Mahara Community

Mahara/Moodle integration /
Can't get Moodle Mahara LTI integration & assign submissions working

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 June 2022, 11:28

Hi Simon,

I'm afraid I'm out of things to think about. Just the other week I set up fresh, uncustomised blank vanilla neverusedbefore Moodle 4.0 and Mahara 22.04 and didn't run into any issues, and also 3.9 works fine. There were no things that required configuring besides the ones mentioned in the Mahara manual (and then for the plugin). You might want to check with a Moodle person if they have any ideas.

All the best

Kristina

Simon Lewis's profile picture

09 June 2022, 20:23

No problem. They're both on WAMP servers, but that shouldn't affect it I don't think.

Anyway, I'll leave it for a bit and give another try in the future.

Thanks for trying to solve it though!

Justin Cloete's profile picture

26 August 2022, 0:10

Hi Kristina

I wish I knew how to replicate the results that you are getting, I am having the same issues and have spent 3 days trying to figure this out, I am finding Mahara and Moodle integration to be one of the most frustrating integrations that I have ever done.

I have a test site which I tried getting the Mahara assignment submission working with no luck, I followed each and every step in the instructions with no luck.

But when trying to create an assignment with a submission type "Mahara" all I get is

error/Error when connecting to Mahara web services. Access control exception : Invalid token selected or none supplied Check that URL and OAuth credentials are correct and that there is a valid SSL certificate if HTTPS is used. Also check that the correct functions are assigned to the OAuth access.

I then created a new vanilla Moodle 4.03 site and Mahara 22.04.2 site hoping that it was something on the test site causing an issue, I went though the entire process again and ended up with the exact same error.

I then tried setting up LTI and using the External tool in moodle this links though to Mahara so the sites are able to communicate with each other. The problem seems to be the Mahara maharaws, I have even tried using the version on GitHub to no avail.

I am hoping to also create a compliance portfolio and push data though from moodle to Mahara, but if I can't get a plugin to work I don't want to know what kind of a nightmare it will be to get this working.

A Singh's profile picture

26 August 2022, 7:50

We are experiencing the exact same issue since last year.

Tested on several different environments running rhel 7, 8 and php 7.3, 7.4 but always ended up with the same issue :

moodle 3.9.14 with mahara 21.04.3

moodle 3.9.15 with mahara 21.04.3

moodle 3.11.8 with mahara 22.04.0

The request does reach mahara :

Error on mahara side : exception: WebserviceAccessException message: Access control exception : Invalid token selected or none supplied debuginfo:

Error on moodle side : 

error/Error when connecting to Mahara web services. Access control exception : Invalid token selected or none supplied Check that URL and OAuth credentials are correct and that there is a valid SSL certificate if HTTPS is used. Also check that the correct functions are assigned to the OAuth access.

26 August 2022, 9:08

Hi,

Can you please provide more detail of what you have set up? Does the general LTI connection to Mahara work via the 'External tool' option in Moodle? The error message mentions SSL certificate which could be an indicator that your site is not running on SSL. LTI requires SSL and that both sites can 'see' each other on the network. Please check your firewall rules etc. If you use htaccess on your sites, you won't be able to connect via LTI.

Thank you

Kristina

26 August 2022, 9:05

Hi Justin,

I'm sorry to hear that you still can't connect. This is a tricky thing to resolve as all the information I know I provided and I'm not aware of any special configuration that is needed on either Moodle or Mahara. This would be the time for us to actually take a look at your sites to verify the steps or to also check if any general code is missing.

I guess one last thing for you to check since you said that the normal external tool activity works, is whether you have the correct web services selected on the Mahara end. It does need to be the 'Mahara assignment submission' option and not only LTI. That brings a few more web services along besides the module_lti_launch. While it should be possible to update the LTI connection to include all of these web services, I recommend setting up a new connection to test things out. I once ran into the problem of having switched the LTI options and they didn't stick. In the end, if that works, you only need to use the assignment submission LTI option as it does include the LTI launch, which can be used for regular external tool logins.

So, to make a long story short: Please check the following in Mahara:

1. At Admin menu → Extensions → Plugin administration → lti /admin/extensions/pluginconfig.php?plugintype=module&pluginname=lti: Do you have all green ticks?
  2. At Admin menu → Web services → External apps /webservice/admin/oauthv1sregister.php → config of your app: Do you have the service 'Mahara Assignment Submission' selected?
  3. To test, set up a new connection directly with that service selected so you can be sure that it hadn't been changed before.
  4. On Moodle, add the new connection details.

Thank you

Kristina

Justin Cloete's profile picture

26 August 2022, 19:06

See below my reply

So, to make a long story short: Please check the following in Mahara:

1. At Admin menu → Extensions → Plugin administration → lti /admin/extensions/pluginconfig.php?plugintype=module&pluginname=lti: Do you have all green ticks?
    1. Yes
  2. At Admin menu → Web services → External apps /webservice/admin/oauthv1sregister.php → config of your app: Do you have the service 'Mahara Assignment Submission' selected?
    1. Yes I have created two keys one for Mahara Assignment Submission and one for LTI
  3. To test, set up a new connection directly with that service selected so you can be sure that it hadn't been changed before.
    1. I have now created a new webservice configuration for Mahara Assignment Submission
  4. On Moodle, add the new connection details.
    1. I have added the new details to moodle but unfortunatly the error persists, if you would like I would be happy to give you the login details to the vanilla site I setup, maybe you can figure out what the issue could be.

29 August 2022, 14:37

Hi Justin,

Thank you for the test results. I messaged you about the server access as that would go beyond the free community support.

Thank you

Kristina

05 September 2022, 11:25

Hi All

I encountered the same issue with the LTI Assignment in Moodle and finally tracked it down to an entry in the Moodle HTTP security cURL blocked hosts list. 

Moodle 4.0.3+

Mahara 22.04

06 September 2022, 15:34

Hi Tim,

Thanks for sharing. Do you have a bit more information on where to find that list? Happy to include it in the documentation as a troubleshooting tip.

Thank you

Kristina