Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
22:04 theme issues

Paul Taylor's profile picture

11 May 2022, 7:51

I have recently upgraded from 21:10 to 22:04 using git.  I had a few issues with php versions, but got the site to install with no errors.  However, all of these themes now do not allow any blocks to show or be moved.  If I stretch them out to fill the screen, they snap back to the left hand side.  This happens with all versions of themes and skins.

22-04-screen-issue.png

Nothing in the logs at all to go by.  The drop down menus are somewhat obscured by each other as well.

I have tried it on numerous browsers (although my clients are mostly Linux). 

Thoughts?  Any further information that may help  happily supplied.

Robert Lyon's profile picture

11 May 2022, 9:28

Hi Paul,

There were a lot of changes behind the scenes to how the page editor works and some of the files may be cached to using the older versions on your site.

Can I get you to try the following to see if there are improvements.

1) Go to the Admin home -> Overview page

2) In the Clear caches block click the 'Clear caches' button

3) Try editing a page again

Let me know if that made a difference

Cheers

Robert

12 May 2022, 2:54

Thanks for the reply Robert.  I did try that and via the command line.  It does seem a likley candidate, but that should ormally fix it.  It seems like some vital code is not loading, but I have no idea why or how to see what is wrong.  I might try and set some error logs?

Just created a new page to see and it is the same issue.   All elements seem to be constrained on the left side of each page and it can't be changed.

Robert Lyon's profile picture

13 May 2022, 13:31

Hi Paul,

I just noticed that you mentioned you updated you site via git. Did you happen to rebuild the CSS?

To do that you need to run a command in the terminal in the parent directory to 'htdocs'.

make css

If you are also using SAML for an authentication method you will also need to run

make ssphp

Then after clearing caches does that display the page better?

Cheers

Robert

19 May 2022, 7:30

I shall give that a go.  Interestingly, I just did a brand new install and it is the same, although it was playing up until I copied in the styles directories to each theme.  The views being constrained to the left side still persist.  I will try the make command and maybe install from the zip as a control.

19 May 2022, 7:43

Tried that and other suggestions from a developer site, but it has made no difference to the pages.

19 May 2022, 7:55

New install using the zip file seems fine on a new install, but not git.  I wonder if I can overwrite the git code on my production site with the zip code to repair it....

19 May 2022, 8:07

With a backup and half covering my eyes...I copied the zip version code over the top of the git (and npm) code in htdocs and it is now back to normal.  I have tested various test logins with institution skins and everything and it is OK.  It seems that the ability to drag blocks around the screen did not function at all with a git update.  All the other stuff was fine.

I would be interested to see if anyone else has issues, though I am guessing there are not too many "early adopters".  Git worked well moving through several earlier version up to 21:10, but did not seem as effective on 22:04.

Still love it, so just reporting for interest.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

19 May 2022, 13:42

Hi Paul,

We only install sites from the Git repo and haven't encountered problems once we used 'make css' to generate the style directory. The style directory is the only vital directory that is in the ZIP that isn't in Git. Git has a few more folders on the same level as htdocs, but they are no relevant for installing on a server.

Can you please confirm that you can run 'make css' on your computer to generate the CSS? If you can't do that, then you'll have to go with the pre-compiled folders available in the ZIP or your site will look broken.

Cheers

Kristina

21 May 2022, 9:27

Hi Kristina:

Yes, I did try make css and all the other dev options in the link in one of my previous posts, but got quite a few errors.  As I said, in the end I copied the zip file over the top and that has worked for me, though can't say it will work for others.  I am very rusty on the dev stuff as I have not done it in anger now for years, but the make css was throwing a lot of errors and I didn't take note so not very helpful for others here, so apologies.  If I get time, I might do another test.  It would be useful for my students as I am now teaching support...

19 results