Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Google SSO custom login (OAuth)

07 March 2022, 15:01

Hi, thanks for a great community. Been lurking for a while on here, first time posting.

I'm currently looking into implementing google SSO with OAuth into our mahara site, but I'm not quite sure how to add it in replacement of the current login screen. We would prefer to just use google SSO if it is possible. If there's any documentation available on customizing the login page, it would be awesome to be pointed in that direction.

Thank you in advance!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

08 March 2022, 7:52

Hi Takuya,

Thank you for your question. You can use SAML authentication if you enable the SAML bridge in your Google SSO. That will then automatically change the homepage login area and add a button for SSO. See for example what that looks like on the Mahara site for the Open Polytechnic in Aotearoa New Zealand. The normal login box is still available as you may have internal admin logins, but if you don't want to make that available so prominently, you can change the template and SASS for that in the 'Raw' theme.

Cheers

Kristina

08 March 2022, 15:02

Hi Kristina,

Many thanks for your reply and support. My admin said that they would prefer not to use SAML for authentication and that OAuth is "encouraged". I've been looking around the Mahara wiki for OAuth integration but coming up short.

Is it possible to set up the login page via OAuth?

Y. Kawaguchi's profile picture

03 March 2023, 18:49

Hello, Takahashi san,

I also want to use the Google's OAuth authentication for logging into Mahara.

Have you get any information about it?

If so, please share it here for me.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

06 March 2023, 22:04

Hello,

You could try the OpenID Connect plugin which is linked from the Mahara wiki. Note though that the plugin hasn't been updated in several years.

Our Catalyst team is currently investigating how we can get OpenID Connect to work using the SAML infrastructure, without resorting to using a SAML bridge. We don't yet have a time frame to get this to work as we have a few other priorities, in particular the next release. 😀

Cheers

Kristina

5 results