Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Increasing storage limits for members in a group

Lisa Donaldson's profile picture

11 February 2022, 8:22

Hi all,

I have a certain cohort of users that needs additional storage and we are hoping to increase file space for just this cohort, not the whole institution. I have pulled this cohort into a group in the hope that I could increase for members of the group. I realise that in the group settings I can increase the storage space of the overall groups' files but can I increase the space for individual group members in their own eportfolio? Thanks if anyone can direct me - I have almost 2000 users in this group so I can't increase storage limits manually! We're using 21.04.

Cheers,

Lisa

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

15 February 2022, 8:26

Hi Lisa,

I'm afraid that this is not yet a feature. Wouldn't it be nice? However, your thinking was spot on. You just need to do it with an institution:

1. Create a temporary institution.
  2. Add the accounts to that institution. Since you have so many, you may wish to have that done via a database query. If your site allows that account holders can be in multiple institutions, they don't need to be removed from the original one, keeping their authentication method etc. the same.
  3. In the institution settings, increase the default quota for members of the institution and also flip the switch for 'Update account quotas' to 'Yes', and save the settings.
  4. Spot check an account.
  5. Remove the people from that temporary institution. If you have multiple institutions set up, you would be done. You can remove them from the institution at Admin menu -> Institutions -> Members.

Students will receive a notification about joining a new institution unless you do the database query I believe, so I'd recommend testing the workflow with one account to make sure you know if you should send a heads-up mail to them.

If your site doesn't allow multiple institutions, e.g. because you have strict privacy turned on, students would need to be removed from their current institution first before being able to add them to the temporary one. Again, a database query is probably your best friend there as you should be able to do most of that silently without also changing the authentication method since you are not really logging people in.

Since you already have everyone in a group, you can go to Admin menu -> Groups -> Administer groups and download a CSV file with the group membership. That includes all the usernames for the group members, which you would need for adding them to the other institution.

Cheers

Kristina

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

16 February 2022, 6:51

Hi Lisa,

Oh dear. I took you down a very long winded path to change the quota. Since you don't already have people in a separate institution we can skip the whole institution move as you need to use a database query anyway. You should be able to have a SQL query crafted to change the quota for all the people who are in the group. That would be much faster than moving between institutions. 😀

Cheers

Kristina

3 results