Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Profile photo only has upload function?

26 October 2021, 2:49

Is it correct that the profile photo can only be uploaded from a computer?

We have students using Mahara App and storing profile pictures in a folder on Mahara.

However, when they want to change their profile picture they can't seem to get to the place where they are stored (my files in Mahara)

They need to download the profile pictures from Mahara to their computer, then upload them again to Mahara under their profile pictures....

Does this make sense or am I missing something here?

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

27 October 2021, 8:12

Hi Richard,

Currently, there is the limitation that profile pictures have to be uploaded via the profile picture screen. I believe that is due to the fact that different sizes of the profile picture are created during that process that are then used around the site. You can file a wishlist item (no guarantee of a quick implementation) or you can sponsor a change to make mobile uploads for profile pictures easier.

Thank you

Kristina

28 October 2021, 2:01

Thanks Kristina! I filed the bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1948936

Some Universities in the Netherlands are starting pilots with Mahara. We are trying to work together on this and we might be talking about many students starting to work with Mahara.

Most of us our using Moodle for quit some time. We find the interface of Mahara challenging, sometimes illogical. I don't know if this comes because of Moodle or just by design.

What would be the developing capabilities if we would like to boost Mahara into new functionalities and new interface options? We could generate quite some funding I think to get things going.

Hope to hear from you and if this interests you. I could try to be a liaison for Dutch universities and get Mahara going here.

I will certainly keep posting on this forum and report 'bugs' (mostly requests for new functionality or improved interface)

Richard. 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

31 October 2021, 16:19

Hi Richard,

Working to improve the usability of Mahara would be wonderful! And knowing the specific areas that are tricky to navigate would help to then look into the specific issues.

I'll send you a message as it might be good to meet to discuss this further.

Thank you

Kristina

29 October 2021, 6:25

I found another inconsistency in the upload screen...

When a teacher wants to give feedback by uploading something, the teacher can not get to his/her own Mahara folders. Again it only seems to work as an upload from a local drive/computer.

fileupload.png 

Now the reason we are finding this important has to do with the promotion of the Mahara App. Teachers and students would like to take pictures/movies with their phone and upload these pictures that can later be used for feedback or profile pictures.

But all pictures/movies taken by phone go to the Mahara user storage.

Adding an upload for profile picture of as a feedback file (for example spoken audio, recorded by phone) is pretty difficult in this manner. It needs to be uploaded to Mahara, downloaden to a laptop and then uploaded to Mahara again (as feedback or profile picture)

Robert Lyon's profile picture

01 November 2021, 11:19

Hi Richard,

I agree that we should be using a better system here for attachments so I've made a wish list bug about it https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1949311

Cheers

Robert

01 November 2021, 21:45

Thanks!

7 results