Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Copying groups does not work for the groupfiles

Eva Proinger's profile picture

23 July 2021, 4:12

Hello everybody,

we use groups for a lot of courses at our university, and we have to copy the groups from the previous semester and just update the files that are not up to date anymore.

We use now the version 21.04 and when I copy groups, most of the files are missing, but not all the files. I did not find anything in the handbook about copying groups and how the files and folders should behave, but it seems strange to me, that there are some files copied, others not.

Does anyone have a clue about solving this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Eva

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

27 July 2021, 8:13

Hi Eva,

Since some files are copying and others don't, can you please check what is different about these two groups of files? Do they have different permissions in the group? Are they actually group files or are they located in personal accounts?

Thank you

Kristina

Eva Proinger's profile picture

28 July 2021, 1:37

Dear Kristina,

i did several tests to see which files are copied and which not, but I couldn't find any rule behind the result.

But it seems that folders with the permission for members to edit or publish are not copied at all.

But also folders only for administrators are not copied well, the structure of the folders are lost, the names of the folders are only numbers and there are sometimes several folders with the same name in the description of the folder (that was before the name of the folder). The files itself are mixed up mainly in one folder (other folders are empty) and then half of the files are not copied at all.

Can you think of something that could cause this problem?

Thanks a lot and best greetings from Vienna,

Eva Proinger

Doris ⚡'s profile picture

11 August 2021, 9:49

Hi Eva,

Currently, group files are not copied over when duplicating a group as the code is still in early stages. However, it is in the release code and can be uncommented to use the functionality and expand on it. Apologies for the mistake in the manual, we will update that for Mahara 21.04.

The commented out code will allow you to copy all group artefacts (includes files) to the new group. It is not yet available for a couple of reasons: If the group has a file that is also used in a portfolio, two copies are made: one in a folder named after the page ID and another sitting in group files. There will be an error if the group has plans/tasks. This feature doesn't yet take copying of group content into consideration so be sure to delete them before copying a group.

You can find the code in htdocs/lib/group.php inside the group_copy function.

Kind regards,

Doris

4 results