Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Problems with search function on Test Server

Elisabeth Prinz's profile picture

05 July 2021, 11:57

Hello,

I´d like to report from FH Campus Wien an our problems with a forthcoming upgrade from 19.04 to 21.04.

We have been testing the new version on a test server and found out that there is a serious problem with the search function. Really strange: The search brings very unlogical result. If I search e. g. nach „Anna“ (which is a forename and often used), I only get results with "anna" is sticking within e. g. Hanna. But not a single "Anna".

We have looked for the settings of the configuration and have seen, that there is maybe another plugin for searching, which we could eventually install. Now the question: Can we try out something to repair the search function on the test server? What could be the reason for the problem?

At least I had the following idea, that it is a problem with the test server, because the FAQ say that the config SET value has to be updated. I am sorry if this sounds not comprehensible to you but I just try to communicate and ask for a solution for our colleages which are implementing the upgrade.

I am looking forward to your answers and clues, which are very important for us at the moment!

Best,
Elisabeth

Andi Becker's profile picture

05 July 2021, 19:05

Hi Elisabeth

Could you please check what kind of MysQL, MariaDB or Postgres Charsets and Collation settings you are using in the Database.

Thanks
Andi

05 July 2021, 20:19

Hi Andi,

with MySQLWorkbench as a client we did the following queries:

1) SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'collation%';

collation_connection     utf8_general_ci

collation_database         utf8mb4_bin

collation_server               latin1_swedish_ci

2) SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'character_set%';

character_set_client      utf8

character_set_connection          utf8

character_set_database              utf8mb4

character_set_filesystem            binary

character_set_results   utf8

character_set_server    latin1

character_set_system   utf8

character_sets_dir         /opt/rh/rh-mariadb105/root/usr/share/mariadb/charsets/

Hope, it helps...

Best
Elisabeth

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

18 July 2021, 13:01

Hi Elisabeth,

This is indeed very strange behaviour and one that we have not come across. Can you please let us know what versions of the following you are using?

• MySQL
  • PHP
  • Your operating system and its version

If the search finds 'anna' within a name that suggests that you don't have 'Exact search' turned on in Admin menu -> Extensions -> Plugin administration -> search -> internal, but it would be worthwhile to double check.

Thank you

Kristina

22 July 2021, 0:24

Hi Kristina,

thank you very much for your answer. The setting in extensions we tried out, but unfortunately didn´t solve the problem altogether. Here are the versions/facts you were asking for:

Databese: 10.5.9-MariaDB
PHP Version: 7.4.20 (am Test-Server) bzw. PHP 7.4.21 (am Live-Server)
Operating system: CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009 (Core)

Best,
Elisabeth

5 results