Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Management of Files

Luca Porcaro's profile picture

24 June 2021, 6:08

Dear members, I have some problems with the "FILE" page, related to the administration menu (the one with the wrench) > Site Settings.

Q1 - There are 3 admin members in the institution but only one can see this page. How it can be possible?

Q2 - When a student delete a file from the portfolio, in this case a video, it remains into the list of files and there is no possibility to delete it from server.

Q3 - And the strange thing is that the only admin able to see the File page, cannot see all files but ony few. But from database I can see a long list of video but he cannot see them by the platform.

Is there some option that I have to set up to a correct management of the File section?

In my past questions you gave me always great info, so thank you in advance because I know that you will help me again!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

25 June 2021, 11:04

Hi Luca,

Mahara distinguishes between site administrators and institution administrators. Only site administrators have access to Admin menu -> Configure site. Institution administrators do not see that part. Thus, if you uploaded files to Admin menu -> Configure site -> Files, only the site admin can see them.

A1: It sounds like one of your institution administrators might be a site administrator as well.

A2: A student doesn't delete a file from a portfolio, but only removes the reference to it. That is on purpose as they may be using that file in another portfolio as well. They can always delete their personal files in their 'Files' area under Main menu -> Create -> Files. There will be a warning if a file they attempt to delete is used in another portfolio.

A3: If it is the same 'Files' area as in Q1: The site admin only has access to files in the site admin area but not every person's or group's files. These reside only in the respective accounts or groups. A site admin does not have the permission to see people's content unless that content has been shared with them. This is to preserve the privacy of people using the platform as much as possible. Of course, they could masquerade as a student and then see the account as the student would, but they don't have direct access to everything that is being done on the platform. The same applies to portfolios, journal entries, forum discussions etc.

Cheers

Kristina

2 results