Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Wouldn't it be nice if the site administrator could manage the group?

AB-Net's profile picture

26 May 2021, 3:44

Hi,

Site administrators can manage institutions without becoming an institution administrator.

The site administrator cannot manage the group unless heĀ  becomes the administrator of the group.

As with institution management, group management may be possible even if I am a site administrator and not a group administrator.

Site administrators will not need to be automatically registered as group administrators if they can manage groups even if they are not group administrators.

Thank you.

AB-Net.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

31 May 2021, 20:46

Hi AB-Net,

I was not involved in the discussions of why site administrators don't have immediate access to groups, but suspect that it is a privacy feature. As site administrator you cannot immediately access any account without masquerading as the portfolio author (and let them know about it if your site is configured that way).

Groups can be private and thus it could easily become a breach of privacy if a site administrator could access them without any hurdle. Granted, becoming an administrator of the group is only a small hurdle, but it does bring to the forefront that you can't 'just wander in' and look around in the group, but have that additional step to go through. If it shall be easier for site admins (and potentially institution admins for the groups associated with their institutions) to access groups, we might want to think about a sort of masquerading as with regular accounts and a notification to group administrators.

Cheers

Kristina

AB-Net's profile picture

01 June 2021, 0:14

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for answering.

> Groups can be private and thus it could easily become a breach of privacy if a site administrator could access them without any hurdle.

I think the idea of protecting privacy is important.

However, I think it is also important for the site administrator to be able to check all the situations in the event of a failure.

This is my personal opinion, and I think that the idea of the mahara design team should be respected for mahara.

I feel that the site administrator is a person who can operate all systems without restrictions, like the administrator of Windows Server and root of Linux.

I think it's common to all systems to take a big risk if the administrator isn't a good person.

However, I think it is necessary to be able to perform all operations quickly, such as when analyzing the cause of a failure.

I will give you my personal opinion.

Thank you.

AB-Net.

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 June 2021, 15:45

Hi AB-Net,

Yes, it's a fine balance between ease of use and protecting the privacy of a person or group of people. I would err on the side of privacy in this case. Site administrators can already manage groups, but need to add themselves as admins first. Alternatively, they can masquerade as a group administrator and check the group. There is the option to think further of what measures we could put in place if these two alternatives were not an option.

Thank you

Kristina

AB-Net's profile picture

23 June 2021, 18:15

Hi Kristina,

Thank you for answering.

I understand.

Thank you.

AB-Net.

5 results