Forums | Mahara Translation

Translations /
Trunc version

Ralf Hilgenstock's profile picture

20 April 2021, 2:42

Hi
can someone give me a quick information what the trunk version in launchpad is and what the difference to the version related languages is? Does it make sense translate trunk?

Ralf

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

20 April 2021, 7:29

Hi Ralf,

'Trunk' is our main branch, i.e. the upcoming version which, once released will then turn into a numbered version. It's the current 'master' branch, which we will rename to 'main' later this year (just need to make sure that we don't break any integrations in our tool chain).

When a language string needs to be updated, it is perfect to do that in trunk. It will then propagate to all other versions where it is used. When a string changes that you as translators should know about, we will rename the string ID. This is currently possible for regular strings. The exception is help files. They are not handled that way at this stage.

Thank you for having updated the German translation!

Kristina

20 April 2021, 18:19

Thanks. Thats very helpfull.

Is there an easy process to add the translations done for 20.10 to trunc. Most of the missing  strings in trunc German are translated for 20.10 now

Ralf

21 April 2021, 10:35

Hi Ralf,

They should propagate through. The first items (I checked 3 pages) are for new features in 21.04. We added a fair amount of new strings. I can't guarantee that it's for all though. That's a bit of a Launchpad translation mystery. Usually, if I were to change something, I'd do it in 'trunk' first, and it propagated through.

If you use translation software on your computer and feed the 20.10 translation in, it would recognise it as an existing string for trunk and thus make the translating easier. That's how I understand one of our other translators works. You can then upload the translation to Launchpad rather than needing to go through it screen by screen.

Thank you

Kristina

04 May 2021, 23:15

After discussion with Kristina I checked the trunc feature again. Here are the results:

• Translations made in trunc version are added automatically to  the version packages. New strings should be translated in trunc.
  • Changes or corrections in existing strings in trunc are also copied into the versions. 

Ralf

25 June 2021, 11:13

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for confirming the behaviour in Launchpad. I added the results to our wiki page about contributing to translations. That page will need to see a few styling updates. So I left the heading numbering and we'll fix it up at some point.

Thank you

Kristina

6 results