Forums | Mahara Community

Developers /
Data authentication table

04 February 2021, 1:09

Hi, my name is Luis and I start to be an mahara admin ;-) Well, I need help again ;-)

Well, I need information of which table stores the authentication type of a user. I need to change the authentication information of all the users of my institution to point to an LDAP service.  My idea is to do an update process for all those users, using a sql Update statement.

Thanks for your time

Lisa Seeto's profile picture

04 February 2021, 13:46

Hi Luis,

Thank you for your question and welcome to Mahara.  What you would like to do can be achieved via the front-end of Mahara so you may not need to manually make any database updates.  Please see the following entry from the Mahara Manual:

https://manual.mahara.org/en/20.10/administration/users.html#change-the-authentication-method-and-remote-username-in-bulk

Please let us know if there is know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Warm regards,

Lisa

04 February 2021, 20:35

Thanks, Lisa, but I have more than 50000 users and I need to change it all.  But I think that making this change over 50,000 users is not practical, so I need the information about the table or tables, in order to make a more efficient change.

That is why I was asking for the table or tables, in order to make that change.

Thanks

Lisa Seeto's profile picture

05 February 2021, 10:36

Hi Luis,

I see.  If you are wanting to take the accounts from one authentication method to a new LDAP service, we recommend the following steps:

1. Make a new LDAP authentication instance on an institution via the Administration menu -> Institution -> Settings for the Institution Set up LDAP in Mahara

2. Update one account to use this institution (this can be done by following the steps in the previous reply)

3. Double-check that the person is able to log in via the LDAP service and that it is working as expected.

4. Locate the person in the 'usr' table and take note of their 'authinstance' value.  You should be able to update to this value for all accounts you want to change via database command.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with.

Warm regards,

Lisa

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

09 February 2021, 22:33

Hi Luis,

In addition to what Lisa wrote, the instructions assume that the current usernames that your students have will be exactly the same as the one in LDAP. If that were not the case, you would need to change them along with the authentication method.

All the best for the database update

Kristina

10 February 2021, 0:50

Thanks a lot!

6 results