Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Anonymisation in Journals question

Rob Fitzgerald's profile picture

03 March 2020, 22:53

Hi,

I'm working at a Uni that uses Mahara 19.10 within Moodle 3.5.5.

I have a couple of questions regarding anonymising Journals

There is functionality within the adv page settings that allows users to 'Anonymise' and this hides the name as it appears at page level, but this doesn't appear to cascade to the journal where the name of the person who posted the journal is visible.

I am new to this, but I am unsure how necessary anonymisation is in this case, I am surmising that Journals are not anonymised because this is their personal reflections on their own work and learning etc and therefore to anonymise is not useful for what Journals are meant to be.

If this is not the case:

• Is there/can there be an anonymisation setting for Journals?
  • Can page settings, e.g. anonymisation, be made to override/overwrite tool settings, e.g. username in Journal?

I would really appreciate clarification on this from anyone with the appropriate knowledge.

Thanks,

Rob

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

13 April 2020, 21:24

Hi Rob,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I suspect that when this feature was developed, journals were not considered as they usually imply that a person needs to be known. Admin and staff can always click the 'Anonymous' and see the full name. Therefore, it is more for outward facing / public portfolios where it can be of interest.

I can see the point that some may wish to anonymise journal entries as well. Then it would need to cascade also to files when viewing the metadata on a page and other elements. So it could be quite a bit deal depending on how the anonymising functionality was implemented on the page level.

For what did you want to use the page anonymisation?

Thanks

Kristina

2 results