Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Adding additional competencies to smart evidence framework

Edward Bolton's profile picture

06 January 2020, 22:50

Hi All,

I have a tutor using smart evidence.  She has a number of student already using it and being assessed on them. the course has had a new tutor join with different expertise and they want to reflect this in the portfolio by adding two new criteria. 

My question is:  can I amend the current framework to reflect these changes so that all current students will now have these extra criteria and any competencies that they have already achieved will not be lost? 

If yes how do I do this (I know how to edit a framework).

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

07 January 2020, 8:27

Hi Edd,

You cannot amend a framework that is already in use. You would need to make a copy of it and add the new competencies and then set the old framework to inactive. By doing so, people who have already started to work with it can continue, but others won't see it anymore.

Now if you want to move students who have already started with it to use the new framework, it's easy for them to switch if they haven't already added annotations and received feedback. If they did already align competencies to their pages then they would need to delete those and start from scratch, loosing their current annotations and any feedback.

This was done specifically so as not to surprise students with changes in a framework only due to changes in time as often students can continue staying on a framework that they started under.

Now if that is not all that you are looking for, you could give it a go adding the necessary data in the database as all the data of framework files is pushed there. It might work. We haven't tried doing that yet so I don't have any experience with it or could give advice on any gotchas. It will be best to do that on a test site though first not that the live database is mucked up.

Cheers

Kristina

2 results