Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
Options for archiving user accounts

Shen Zhang's profile picture

30 October 2019, 11:39

Hi

My institution is revising the user accounts policy, and would like to take user accounts, which haven't logged into the system for certain number of years, off the system. I'm exploring options for archiving user accounts, in case we need to restore certain users back to the system. 

Is there any option at the system admin level to manage the archiving process?

Kind regards

Shen

01 November 2019, 13:14

The need for managing user accounts is related to the issue we experienced earlier during the year. Please see the link below for the forum post regarding the issue:

https://mahara.org/interaction/forum/topic.php?id=8424

And this seems to be related to the following issue:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/mahara/+bug/1117034 

We ended up deleting accounts that have not logged in for 6 years off the system. 

I wonder what other institutions do in terms of managing user accounts? Is there any user archiving process people have been using?  Does it help if we set up the "Default account inactivity time" in the system, rather than deleting the user accounts altogether? 

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Shen 

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 November 2019, 16:46

Hi Shen,

I see two options:

1. Use the experimental feature of the bulk export. It's experimental as not much time is spent on it because it's not used that much and you may also need to work in batches as it puts a lot of stress on a server and some optimisation would be great to do for it.
  2. Esp. if you are wanting to archive lots of accounts, you may also wish to take a database and files backup so you could set up a local instance of Mahara and have easy access to the portfolios if you need to import many again via Leap2A (or you could then restore the account as described on the wiki).

Best

Kristina

05 November 2019, 12:47

Hi Kristina

Thanks for getting back to me. Option 1 sounds interesting. We will have a look.

Kind regards

Shen

4 results