Forums | Mahara Community

Support /
how to configure auth saml on mahara 18.04

william chan's profile picture

24 September 2019, 20:00

Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like to configure SAML SSO on mahara 18.04 application. However, when I find "SimpleSAMLphp is not configured" from the Service Provider metadata. I have find all information from the mahara documentation but cannot find the guide how to configure it . Would you please provides me the information how to configure "Service Provider metadata" and SAML SSO configuration docuumentation? 

William

mahara-saml-sso.png.1

Robert Lyon's profile picture

30 September 2019, 9:51

Hi William,

The things you can check to see what the issue could be:

1) Check that you have the correct settings in your config.php file:

You should have two line like this

$cfg->ssphpsessionhandler = 'memcached';

$cfg->memcacheservers = 'hostname:port';

Where hostname:port should be the IP/port of the memcached server, eg if it is on same machine as the Mahara site then

$cfg->memcacheservers = 'localhost:11211';

2) If the setting are correct the next thing to check is if you can access the server via the command line - in a terminal try to connect to the memcached server, eg:

telnet localhost 11211

To see if the memcached server is running and accessible

3) If that is fine then we need to check that the ssphp plugin's external files are installed.

If you set up you site with a zip file download these files should already exist at the path

htdocs/auth/saml/extlib/simplesamlphp/

If you installed via git checkout and that directory does not exist you will need to do the following in your terminal at the parent to the htdocs/ directory:

make ssphp

This should add the external files we need.

4) If you have done all of that and it still is showing the error then make sure that the PHP module 'memcache' is enabled on the server and that you've restarted the apache2 server

If you are using alternate things to memcached / apache2 please let me know

Cheers

Robert

02 October 2019, 17:07

Dear Robert,

I have follow your step but still show the same problem. Please advise.

Regards,

William

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

03 October 2019, 22:10

Hi William,

Can you please let us know the following?

Do you have these three lines in your config.php file?

$cfg->ssphpsessionhandler = 'memcached';
$cfg->memcacheservers = 'hostname:port';

Where hostname:port should be the IP/port of the memcached server, eg if it is on same machine as the Mahara site then

$cfg->memcacheservers = 'localhost:11211';

2. Can you access the server via the command line, for example by entering the following in your terminal:

telnet localhost 11211

What do you see?

3. Did you set up your site via a downloaded zip file or via git?

3a. If you installed it via zip, does the folder htdocs/auth/saml/extlib/simplesamlphp/ exist and have files in it?

3b. If you installed via git, did you run the following in the directory above /htdocs (e.g. if my site is at /code/mahara/htdocs, then I would need to run the command in ther terminal in the folder /code/mahara):

make ssphp

Do you get any error messages?

4. If it is still not working, please check that the PHP module 'memcache' is enabled on the server. You will need to restart apache2 once you enabled it.

Does it work now? If not, what sort of feedback do you get in ther terminal or in Mahara?

Thanks
Kristina

31 October 2019, 22:28

Dear,

I follow your procedure but still cannot configure it. Do you please provide us more information how to do it?

Regards,

William

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

02 November 2019, 16:47

Sorry, William. I don't know what else to check without taking an actual look at your installation.

Thanks

Kristina

6 results