Forums | Mahara Community

Open Discussion /
Call for comments: Basic block, a.k.a. magic block

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

14 April 2019, 20:59

Hi everyone,

Lisa Donaldson and Mark Glynn from Dublin City University had a great idea, I think: Could we create a block whose content type is predetermined when creating a template page? It would be something like a magic block for which students choose what they want to see in it after having copied the template.

This would reduce the number of instructions given along the lines of "If you do not need this block or wish to use a different content type, delete this block and drag a different block in."

You can read more about this proposal and how we would change the entire content chooser.

What do you think about this idea?

Cheers

Kristina

Jasmin Hodge's profile picture

16 April 2019, 23:03

This is an amazing idea and actually came through our 'listening to learner's process at my institution. We use Mahara page templates with approximately 80 different groups of students and usually it is me that has to introduce using the pages with each group at the beginning of the terms, talk them through copying the template page and saving as their own.

In addition explaining how to remove a block and replace with different block types depending how they want to present their evidence, a video instead of a powerpoint for example.

Having the magic blocks would probably let me do the initial training online for students on Moodle with screen captures etc and would save so much time getting them started!

Kristina Hoeppner's profile picture

23 April 2019, 21:09

Thank you for your feedback, Jasmin. Great that you'd like this feature.

Cheers

Kristina

3 results